Sign in to follow this  
Prairiedogg

Shrinking leather to accordion a pouch

First post here IIRC.

This is an ammunition pouch from the first world war. Quite handy and functional in it's intended purpose.

But very dry. Seems like an easy enough task to build one...but for that accordion effect in the folds. It's probably an easy task to many... but I'm scratching my head wondering how to do it.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards

PD

Pouch.gif

Use thin veg tan leather. Cut it to size for the gusset. Wet it and fold down the middle. Sew one side edge to the back panel then sew the other side edge to the front panel. If you sew it whilst its still damp / not fully dry you can then press the front and back panels towards each other and the gusset will take on the fold more permanently

Al Stohlman's book on making saddlebags goes into the details of this.

Black Horse,

Do you know approximately where in the download that is addressed?  I have the PDF file from the Tandy book store and it's a mess trying to find text that isn't spread over three pages.

God bless

Actually it's Black Dog, Black Horse would be Tsunka'kan sapa. And no, I haven't replaced that one after the fire a few years ago. I just remember reading it in there.

Edited by tsunkasapa

If you can get your hands on a back issue of Leathercrafters & Saddlers Journal Vol 22 No.3 May /June 2012 Bob Klenda shows how to wet form that gusset for a saddle purse project..