Sign in to follow this  
PastorBob

WTF: Boy Scout Snaps

I inherited a hatchet / knife combo from my uncle.  It was issued to him in Boy Scouts.  The knife (6" hunting) fits into a sheath that is combined with the hatchet blade cover.  It is in rough shape and I wanted to make a new one to replace it (keeping the old one, just not using it).  The snap cover for the hatchet has the BSA logo on it.  I don't have a pic to show at the moment, but it is gold and measures roughly 3/8" in diameter.  I have scoured the internet and have found nothing.  Any suggestions??

I have several ideas on this.

Apply some beeswax to the snap and the leather around it. Make a coffer dam around the snap, about 1/4 inch out from it using something like bluetac. Paint on mould making latex. Put on plenty of layers of the latex to build up the thickness. When the latex is completely dry peel it away. Now you have a mould you can make copies of the snap cover.

Try this out on a test piece first.

Once you have the mould you can make copies of the cover for further work, eg just cast a copy in a resin material and use that on your replica, or use a copy to get a brass copy cast from

1 hour ago, GatoGordo said:

While it is not gold, this kit includes a snap with the BSA logo: https://www.scoutshop.org/multitool-sheath-kit-7121.html

I’ll bet it has a faux patina on it and may be brass underneath.  If it is, it can be polished.  Good find!

10 hours ago, GatoGordo said:

While it is not gold, this kit includes a snap with the BSA logo: https://www.scoutshop.org/multitool-sheath-kit-7121.html

Thanks so much!  That will work perfectly.

that is exactly what I have.  Worth much more to me that what they are selling it for. I may just leave it as is.