weekend

Was Gifted a Machine

Long time lurker first time poster! Never thought I would have the opportunity to get a machine but I was recently gifted an old singer 111W100. Laying some groundwork up front this is a first machine for me, I've always hand sewn, but I am willing to take on the project if only to learn and tinker. From what I am seeing in my first glance research I am missing, some obvious stuff like the a table motor, drive belt, pedal, the belt underneath that runs the walking foot? needle and probably some nuts and bits off the feed system on the top side of the head.

So, is this a feasible project, are parts going to be a total nightmare, what am I really missing on this?

Any insight or help would be appreciated, below I have attached some pictures of the machine hopefully I got that right.

machine4.thumb.jpg.5024c3a5eb4ba47885a7acefda52bee8.jpg

machine3.thumb.jpg.b63f57923175c281c8d275a505bb2d51.jpg

That's a cool machine!  Definitely worth a little effort to get it going - oil everything that moves, put in a new needle and it might sew just fine as it is.

The bad news is it's not a walking foot model - it looks like one of it's walking foot cousins, but it's a needle feed.

The good news is that it's still quite capable and will sew light, medium and some heavy canvas quite well.   Light and medium leather won't be a problem, but it won't feed like a triple feed 111w155.

If you decide to get it going and sell it, you'll get nearly as much as a walking foot model.   As it sits $200 would not be unheard of.   Cleaned up and sewing well $300.   

edit:   If you're more interested in a walking foot machine you might put out a local craiglist add looking to trade your machine straight across for a walking foot machine.  More than one person has had a change in what they like to sew and wished they had a needle feed for lighter weight fabrics, or they have two 111w155s and would like to trade one to round out the collection.  You never know.

Edited by DonInReno

My first industrial in 1972. My second for 25yrs selling in 2018. With a narrow Teflon foot you have great visibility for sewing detail.  I think I see a low mileage machine, although the bed is very chipped the wear pattern in front of the needle shows limited wear.  Uwe is a great source on ytube for belt replacement.   You should be able to get table, motor,bobbin winder and thread stand for $100/$300.  Good luck.  It won't replace a 206rb a 280l or some Juki's but you can do a lot with it.

Thanks for the insight! I think I'm going to go ahead and clean and oil this thing and order the missing pieces, sounds like it should fit my needs just fine once it's up and running. Probably going to grab a section of butchers block counter top and fab up a table for it unless there's a better option.

If this machine has the stitch regulator with a knob in the center of the handwheel, check to see if it still changes the stitch length.  That stitch regulator frequently is worn out. Many machines with worn stitch regulators have had their stitch length locked.