Tross

Stitch strap right through loops?

How do I run stitching through loops like these reins?  Is there a special foot or machine for this?  I encounter this problem all the time making bridles, reins and tack.  Thanks ahead of time for any responses!

IMG_1399.jpg.40570c24e5c94ad436b0e4d6c5e60b3c.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

I'm not a tack guy but if I'm sewing a keeper on a belt I use an awl. 

Often, it's feasible to sew through leaving a lot of slack thread, and tighten up once basically assembled. The giveaway is that the threads aren't perfectly aligned.

11 hours ago, BigSiouxSaddlery said:

These are hand stitched.  A machine can't sew through both ends of a loop.  

I agree and a lot safer especially at the business end of the reins.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Those loops are hand stitched in as is most of the bridle since there are buckles or loops at each end of the cheek pieces that prevent use of a machine.  Browbands and nosebands can be machine sewn but cheek and head pieces are only sewn by hand that I am aware.  

Big Sioux taught me this!   ...And she knows.

Silverd

Bridle.PNG

Edited by Silverd

On most larger strap items I'll machine sew one side of the loop, use clinched shoe nails to attach the other side of the keeper, then put a stitch or two between keeper and buckle. Will hand stitch that fine stitching through small items if I have to, but what a pain. -John

Thanks everyone for your responses.  Hand sewing these is just too time consuming for me.  I long ago started using chicago screws on my western stuff for this reason.  Also, I was wondering if there is a presser foot that will help sew right up to a loop?

IMG_1388.jpg

Take the loop . . .  and with no thread in the machine . . . punch holes thru one side.

Sew the other side onto the bridle . . . 

Then sew up to where the loop would go in on the other side . . . remove the thread . . . and make holes through the bridle . . . like you would sew it.

Cut the bridle thread and bobbin . . . about 8 inches long or so . . . and hand stitch the 4 or so stitches thru the loop . . . then 4 or 5 stitches afterward . . . double them back so it is tight.  You are done.

it's a piece of cake once you have done it a half dozen or so times . . . becomes almost as fast as machine sewing (I use a Tippmann Boss).

May God bless,

Dwight

I'm not a tack guy but if I'm sewing a keeper on a belt I use an awl .