My dad asked me to make this for his friend.  I learned a lot and had fun.  Other than a few pocket knife sheaths and a small fixed blade EDC sheath this is it.  I had to drill the holes  on the top long edge because I couldn't get an awl through it and the stitch line was wiggly until I figured out how to get through the the thick leather leather in a reasonably straight manner.  Any comments are welcome, constructive or otherwise.

Scootch

20210523_185739.jpg

20210523_185746.jpg

20210523_185752.jpg

20210523_185800.jpg

That little wobble on the back is exactly what happened to me when first drilling through three layers of eight oz veg tan, I found that if I made sure that the sheath was at a ninety degree angle to the drill bit it would work just fine.

There are some that will say use an awl don't drill, that if the stitching gets cut or abraded it will come unraveled. I always use a stitching groover and hammer or use a stitch marking wheel to sink the stitches and then use a needle with a tiny amount of super thin super glue and touch the stitches on the back of the sheath, because the glue is so low viscosity it just wicks up the thread and locks everything into place. 

Nice work!

I like that a lot. Does what it says on the tin.

It may help where you have prick marked your work to pre prick those marks,  you will have less to go through over all once you come to stitch your work.

Nice work too.

Hope this helps

JCUK

very nice work.  I love how you curved the basket weave to the contour of the blade.

Punish him mightily for he hath broken the law of the knife and the sheath!

Thanks for the input and compliments. Be blessed.

Scootch

Just one simple comment Scootch . . . rather than drill the holes . . . replace the drill bit with a machine sewing needle of the appropriate size to the thread . . . and the holes can be punched straight down . . . no problem at all . . . AND . . . you do not mess up your holes.

Actually . . . if you own one of those little cheap drill presses . . . https://www.lowes.com/pl/Drill-presses-Presses-lathes-Power-tools-Tools/4294607825?refinement=2104441257 from Lowes or similar . . . you can use either a needle or an awl blade . . . and ALL OF YOUR HOLES ARE PERFECTLY 100% STRAIGHT UP  AND DOWN.

I sometimes take the thread out of my Tippmann Boss . . . use it to punch the holes . . . and then saddle stitch the item.  

It takes a lot of practice to learn to use an awl correctly . . . and become good at it.  This little trick eliminates the wait and the practice . . . for less than a hundred bucks.

May God bless,

Dwight

FWIW, I just use my chisels. If they don't punch all the way through, I don't force them or get frustrated: I finish punching the (half) holes and then place the project on a cork board and finish making the holes with my diamond awl, just being careful the awl is perpendicular to the board and slanted the right way. This method's never failed me. Tedious, yes, but doable, practical, and with good results.

The first 7 holes were drilled.  After that all the holes were marked with pricking irons but just pricked.  I continued about halfway down the long side with the awl and stitching pony.  From that point I was pretty frustrated and laid the scabbard flat on a vinyl pad and tapped the awl through with my light mallet.  I was using a BK awl handle and blade.  Regardless how tight the collet was the awl blade would continue slide into the handle.  My 8.5 spi irons have long thin blades and i'll usually go though the first layer and welt with them but these Goods Japan irons make a huge hole.

I didn't think about using the Boss.  Usually on scabbards and holsters I'll hand sew because the distance is short and it its not worth trying to set the tension on the Boss.

Thanks,

Scootch

On 5/26/2021 at 6:02 AM, kiwican said:

Punish him mightily for he hath broken the law of the knife and the sheath!

:thinking::thinking:

Doggone dude, I know the emphasis is on the leather, but when you have a unique knife, it would be considerate to show at least ONE view of the naked blade...

56 minutes ago, RVM45 said:

Doggone dude, I know the emphasis is on the leather, but when you have a unique knife, it would be considerate to show at least ONE view of the naked blade...

:17:

8 hours ago, RVM45 said:

7 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

:17:

I found this one for you all.  It's with the original sheath.  The knife is German made.

Scootch

20210519_172618.jpg

57 minutes ago, Scootch said:

I found this one for you all.  It's with the original sheath.  The knife is German made.

Scootch

20210519_172618.jpg

I don't have a picture of mine . . . but it is shaped the same . . . something in the neighborhood of 55 yrs old . . . 

A classmate had one back in the early 60's . . . brought it to school for show and tell . . . I fell in love with it . . . had to have one.  Bought mine aboard the USS Hamner in 64 or 65.

May God bless,

Dwight

Beautiful sheath IMO. Definitely stepped up from the original.