HondoMan

Odd shaped tool....toolroll...ideas...?

Ice screws......    and a toolroll.  Had a customer in the shop yesterday and he wants a toolroll for this 'L' shaped tool.    The issue at hand is the rolling aspect of this wee toolroll.  Due to it's shape, I cannot find a means to make it roll properly.  I've sketched out various styles, but nothing is coming into that 'wee wet noodle between mah ears' that will make this roll.  Perhaps this is a non-starter.  The type of roll I end up with ends in more of a stacking style...

Also, to add insult to injury, 9 of these are 160mm in length and the 10th one is 200mm.  The one that is 4cm longer is truly unhelpful. 

Perhaps one of you have done something similar or have an idea?

Cheers!

image.png.add9c76163f5ec211d9d8e6664a77490.png                     image.png.3d853a1dc9a8784cf218cdc172f13271.png

BD-Ultralight-vs-BD-Express.jpg

Edited by HondoMan

Give up the idea of a roll. It ain't gonna happen. Whatever you come up with is gonna be better that how they're carried now. I'm thinking a belt with batches of two with one inverted like your first sketch but one higher than the other to get them as close as possible. Then stitch a wide center piece leaving it open ended both ends like a wide cartridge belt.Then stitch flaps along the top and bottom with one flap for every two (pitons?). That way you can open one flap to get at one because the other is held by the bottom flap and can't fall out. The belt can be loose enough to slide for easy access to all the pockets if neccessary.

@toxo, aye I agree.  This is a non-starter.  I ran a belt idea by the customer, initially, but he was against it.  He wants to be able to pack the screws in a rucksack. 

I came up with an idea this morning and it will be similar to yours, albeit different.  To a degree it will be roll-able.  Laying each next to each other (threaded part) on a 'belt' and the thread part covered much like a pen sheath.  The unthreaded section will be exposed.  Five on one side and five on the other.  A wee piece of leather through one of the holes - stitched to the belt on one end and possible a popper on the other attached to the sheath for the threaded part.  This should allow it to 'roll'.  Could also add a buckle and strap to the opposite ends when laid flat so it could be worn over the shoulder, just as convenience.

Thanks for the input and your idea.

Cheers!

What about using thick(er) leather and making a 'book' of leather sheets/leaves. Sewn along one edge with the first or last having a flap sort of thing to fold over the rest of the 'pages' to keep the 'book' closed

What aboot a bucket ladie! a leather wan... wee a flap on top, pins in the middle and the tops arraying around, get the jist????:thumbsup:

sorry about the high tech drawing there.....

.20210527_134325.thumb.jpg.2e3449dd21a39647bfc8b0ef54aa1494.jpg

Edited by jimi

Tool rolls seem cool but they are always, bulky and they need a large surface to be rolled open on and an overall pain in the ass.  I find a leather tool bag much better for storage and access.  

Aye, git the jist.... boot nooo.   Had a wee craic with the owner.  We're gooin with what ah sed, boot with wee 'parachutes' on each end to aye deck tha noon threaded part.  :lol:

To clarify that, the threaded ends will lay next to each other in the 'pen sheath' with the rope tie ends out - five per side.  Then two round pieces of leather covering the non-threaded ends.  These will be secured in a parachute fashion to each other.  Lastly, there will be a carry strap. 

Robert is your father's brother! ;)

:lol: and Rab too! :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, HondoMan said:

@toxo, aye I agree.  This is a non-starter.  I ran a belt idea by the customer, initially, but he was against it.  He wants to be able to pack the screws in a rucksack. 

I came up with an idea this morning and it will be similar to yours, albeit different.  To a degree it will be roll-able.  Laying each next to each other (threaded part) on a 'belt' and the thread part covered much like a pen sheath.  The unthreaded section will be exposed.  Five on one side and five on the other.  A wee piece of leather through one of the holes - stitched to the belt on one end and possible a popper on the other attached to the sheath for the threaded part.  This should allow it to 'roll'.  Could also add a buckle and strap to the opposite ends when laid flat so it could be worn over the shoulder, just as convenience.

Thanks for the input and your idea.

Cheers!

Have another look at the wide belt option but stitched around the back of a rucksack, maybe two rows.

Just had another thought! (it didn't hurt too much). Maybe just stitch the top edge of the belt to the bottom of the rucksack. Then it won't get in the way of everything else. You could even do it so it extends the depth of the rucksack for more storage.

Edited by toxo

I have vast experience in ice anchors and I dont think a tool roll will work. Just my humble opinion. If you persist in your endeavor face the base in amd measure alot to make it will work. I have always just clipped them on my harness myself

The ideas are brilliant, you lot.  Regardless the outcome, I'll post a few wee photos here.  Due to current orders, it will be around August, I feel.