BarnOwl

Pedal to the metal

Being a fabricator by profession I am building a new sewing table for the Adler 204-64. After many years the old table looked like an old horse, it was sway backed and wobbly with missing chunks and cracks here and there. The new table will be 5 feet x 3 feet made from 1.5 aluminum tubing with space for a drawer and casters so it can be mobile. I have found that being able to move equipment around the shop is very beneficial. First up is the foot pedal. The original one was cracked right down the middle and the design would not fit the new table any way so out it went. I am used to the foot pedal on my TIG welder so that is the size I designed to resemble. It will be somewhat suspended off of the ground because I am making the table taller than standard so I can stand and walk around larger projects I may be working on. 

Pictured is the finished product, The shaft is hardened tool steel so it will not wear out or develop groves. The aluminum frame has bronze bushings for wear resistance. E-clips secure it into place for easy disassembly or cleaning. I am waiting to drill the hole for the clutch motor rod so it will be paced exactly where it needs to be. 

IMG_0586.jpeg

IMG_0587.jpeg

IMG_0588.jpeg

Quality build there, will last a fair while :)

Hey Mike. You don't say if you're experienced with an industrial. If you're not I would hang fire on doing too much work on that clutch motor because sure as eggs is eggs you're gonna want to change it out for a servo motor right quick. Just get it working to see if it suits before doing too much work. Even experienced sewers find it hard to tame the speed of clutch motors.

Yes I think you are right that a servo motor is soon to follow but the controls are the same between the two motors correct? It is a rod that pulls on a lever that actuates the motor, that is in pretty much the same location as the clutch arm right? I am designing a cable actuation system that will allow more free space under the table and will be adjustable throw on the pedal so I can adjust how much pedal movement it takes to start and stop

Well Toxo you got me thinking, After I thought about what I was planing for the machine I figured that now was a better time than later. I ordered the Sailrite 500 watt 3/4 hp servo motor. It should arrive about the time I am ready to install it on the new table. Thank you for your little push to get me in the right direction. 

Mike