Leather2

What size edger?

Hello, planing on making some knife sheaths out of 8oz leather. Should i use a #2 or #3 size edger? 
thanks in advance

That would depend on the size/thickness of the project. A bowie knife sheath would probably benefit from a #3. A patch knife, a #2. I find #2 to be the one I use most.

#2 will give you a nice rounded effect on two layers of leather, or a slightly squared edge if there is a welt. That is what I would use. You may want to use a #1 on areas where there is a single layer though. 

As with any tool, there is a range of prices. RMLS sell Kyoshin Elle Pro Grooved Edger; I have one but I don't think much of it

Start with a Tandy Craftool Edge Beveler size 2  #8076-02. It is cheap, easy to use, easy to sharpen, and will do the job. You can always move on from that as you gain experience

Again, there are YT videos on using & sharpening edgers, and as you watch videos of people making items you'll see what & how

Some people follow up edge beveling with abrasive paper

Similarly, just get a simple, cheap edge burnisher; they get better as you use them; might try polishing them first, with very fine abrasive paper, say 1,000grit

You can use gum tragacanth for edge burnishing, but IMO Tokonole is better

Not all edgers are numbered the same.  Palosanto #0 and Ron's Montana #1 and Barry king's #00 are all the same size.  They cut a round edge.  There are others that cut an angle.