Sign in to follow this  
handsw

What is this plastic material for edges?

Hi, you can see in the attaches images the zipper tag of my backpack. I was wondering what it is the material that cover the edges, it seems some plastic  or rubber material. The zipper tag is made of faux leather or chromed leather probably, therefore the edges are not treatable like if they were made of veg tan leather but the coating is nice and seems durable so I would like to try using the same material on some of my creations.

DSC_0217.JPG

DSC_0218.JPG

Edge paint.  You're in Italy?  You guys make it.  Giardini and Uniters.

Oh nice, I didn't know that. I actually live in the UK, are there other brands? Can edge paint be used on burnished edges? Is it a good solution for long lasting edges?

Edited by handsw

46 minutes ago, handsw said:

. . . I actually live in the UK, are there other brands? 

afair I got some from

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152729174649?hash=item238f5e4279:g:Y4cAAOSw52tbZCiU

47 minutes ago, handsw said:

. . . Can edge paint be used on burnished edges? Is it a good solution for long lasting edges?

yes, as long as you've not used a wax to burnish, and yes

2 hours ago, fredk said:

Can edge paint be used on burnished edges? Is it a good solution for long lasting edges?

Sand the edges first.  Google is your friend.

On 5/28/2021 at 3:13 PM, handsw said:

Hi, you can see in the attaches images the zipper tag of my backpack. I was wondering what it is the material that cover the edges, it seems some plastic  or rubber material. The zipper tag is made of faux leather or chromed leather probably, therefore the edges are not treatable like if they were made of veg tan leather but the coating is nice and seems durable so I would like to try using the same material on some of my creations.

DSC_0217.JPG

DSC_0218.JPG

it is only polyurethane paint in aqueous phase.the same as you can find in any DIY store

Edited by paloma

18 hours ago, paloma said:

it is only polyurethane paint in aqueous phase.the same as you can find in any DIY store

that you can find at a decent price because not stamped "special pro-for leather".

TIL Fiebings Edge Coat can be a real PIA. Luckily I was able to peel it off, or it would have ruined the project.