Gulrok

Landis Stitcher Casters

Hi guys.

So.... I've come into a couple Landis 12 model k stitchers (3) as well as a hi speed chain stitch mckay stitcher.... among others...

The biggest issue I have is that these all machines are about 1.5 hours from me. They're obviously heavy. I noticed they have holes in the bottom of the machines that are either for bolting to the floor or possibly casters/wheels. My plan is to use an engine hoist to lift the machines, install casters and then be able to roll them into an enclosed trailer.

Does anyone know how big the holes in the bottom of the machines to bolt casters to? I didn't think about it until I took photos of them. 

You might want to check out this most comprehensive thread.

Landis 12 G Outsole Stitcher moving, cleaning, partial disassembly, resurrection

On the K model you won't be able to put casters on them.  I've tried to source industrial casters with a long enough stem.  Found some but when you try to move it they bend.  It's a waste of time, effort and money because of the 3 point legs.  Beyond that it is always going to be unstable even if you could find casters.  The three legged configuration is deadly for tipping over if the wheels don't spin right.  

Casters do however work on the Landis L models with square base.  

The best way to move a K are the following:. 

1.  Put a pipe under one of the legs and do a leveraged slide.  The longer and thicker the pipe the better.  Very effective to move on a flat surface. 

2.  Grizzley tools sells a rolling tool stand wheel set.  Great to move the K around the shop.  

3.  Use a powered winch or hand crank come along to get them up a trailer ramp.  My best recommendation to move them by trailer.  Harbor freight.  Go slow and adjust the legs as needed to slide up the ramp.  They slide down the ramp by themselves.  

4.  Make your own platform with 4 wheels.  I believe 32" x 32" should work.  But I think mine is 30" x 34".  But not really sure.  Need two people or some set blocks to raise it to put it on a platform. 

5.  Dolly.  Good luck with that.  There are some specialized Dolly's that lean back with four wheels but they are expensive but a joy to use on these machines.  Use a Costco dolly and 50-50 chance you will hurt, maim or kill yourself. 

I'm moving these by myself all the time using a combination of the above.  

Other advice:. Leave the chainstitch where it is.  Nobody really wants to buy them.  

1 hour ago, pogue44 said:

On the K model you won't be able to put casters on them.  I've tried to source industrial casters with a long enough stem.  Found some but when you try to move it they bend.  It's a waste of time, effort and money because of the 3 point legs.  Beyond that it is always going to be unstable even if you could find casters.  The three legged configuration is deadly for tipping over if the wheels don't spin right.  

Casters do however work on the Landis L models with square base.  

The best way to move a K are the following:. 

1.  Put a pipe under one of the legs and do a leveraged slide.  The longer and thicker the pipe the better.  Very effective to move on a flat surface. 

2.  Grizzley tools sells a rolling tool stand wheel set.  Great to move the K around the shop.  

3.  Use a powered winch or hand crank come along to get them up a trailer ramp.  My best recommendation to move them by trailer.  Harbor freight.  Go slow and adjust the legs as needed to slide up the ramp.  They slide down the ramp by themselves.  

4.  Make your own platform with 4 wheels.  I believe 32" x 32" should work.  But I think mine is 30" x 34".  But not really sure.  Need two people or some set blocks to raise it to put it on a platform. 

5.  Dolly.  Good luck with that.  There are some specialized Dolly's that lean back with four wheels but they are expensive but a joy to use on these machines.  Use a Costco dolly and 50-50 chance you will hurt, maim or kill yourself. 

I'm moving these by myself all the time using a combination of the above.  

Other advice:. Leave the chainstitch where it is.  Nobody really wants to buy them.  

Any chance you think a 30x30 pallet would work? It might be easier to palletize them.

Get some pallets and a pallet Jack. Also bring several ratchet straps. You may want to bolt them to a pallet. You will want to use a 2 axle trailer with a high roof and E track tie downs or heavy duty rings.

Edited by LindanHotAir