MtlBiker

Rotating Hook installation.... Consew RB206-5

I'm kinda lost with this...  My Consew 206RB-5 jammed up and the safety mechanism didn't kick in.  I couldn't turn the handwheel a full rotation.  It looked like something had happened to the rotating hook.  I think I must not have had the bobbin basket/holder properly inserted.  I had a look at a Juki video about how to clear a jam on the rotating hook and I tried to follow along and I got the hook removed, cleaned it (although there didn't appear to be anything there to clean) and I can't figure out how to reinsert it.  Is there a particular orientation of the hook?  Should it just pop back in?  Is there a trick?  (I've got the hook supporting plate and thread release finger removed.  I'd removed the three little screws on the clip that hold the hook in place.)

I searched Youtube for help on this but didn't find an answer.  Maybe I used the wrong search terms.

Any help would be most appreciated.  Thanks.

I usually make my first stitch using the handwheel.  That way if things are not proper they don't get all bent up under motor power or the thread doesn't get yanked back up through the needle.  

Remove the needle and bring down the needle bar to bottom dead center.  Reinstall hook  with hook point at it's top dead center and snug up the set screw on the hook you can get to.  Reinstall finger in notch of hook.  Your timing should be close but then re-time.  

Here is a video on removal.  

Edited by bj139

Good idea to turn the first stitch or two using the handwheel.  The linked video doesn't really help me as I don't need to disassemble so much because I'm not removing the needle bar.  And the parts look somewhat different from the 206RB-5 that I have... might have been some changes from the 206RB-2 in the video.

I'll try your suggestion about needle bar bottom dead center and then hook with point at top dead center.  Should the hook just fit right in easily when in that position?

Thanks!

The video was less than 2 minutes long, my standard for the attention span of most Youtubers including me.  Ignore the needle bar 10 second part.  The needle must be near the point of the hook so bottom with needle and top with hook will get you near time.  I don't have a 206 but have taken hooks out of several machines.  If it was easy to get it out it should be easy to get it in.  At least, that's what she said. :o

Sometimes the bobbin case does not quite lock in and spins a quarter turn.   Mashing the foot pedal in that case would probably not be good.  Turning the handwheel first will tell you something is wrong.

Edited by bj139

The hook assembly will not be able to go back in unless either the needle is up, or there is no needle installed.

Check out these two videos for setting up your Consew 206. These two videos are pretty long, but the go into great detail on how to set the timing and general maintenance of your machine. The first few seconds of each video will give you time stamps for the various topics. Here's a spreadsheet that you can print out for easy reference for the videos.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OlHlEmD9kjYIXMBq15rlYHqlgqbxVezX_NnphFKOmtw/edit?usp=sharing

14 hours ago, bj139 said:

The video was less than 2 minutes long, my standard for the attention span of most Youtubers including me.  Ignore the needle bar 10 second part.  The needle must be near the point of the hook so bottom with needle and top with hook will get you near time.  I don't have a 206 but have taken hooks out of several machines.  If it was easy to get it out it should be easy to get it in.  At least, that's what she said. :o

Sometimes the bobbin case does not quite lock in and spins a quarter turn.   Mashing the foot pedal in that case would probably not be good.  Turning the handwheel first will tell you something is wrong.

Thanks again!  I've got it working now.  It was my first time with those parts disassembled and I really wasn't sure what I was doing or how things should line up.  A couple of frustrating hours later, all is good again.

Cheers!

9 hours ago, jackalopes said:

The hook assembly will not be able to go back in unless either the needle is up, or there is no needle installed.

Check out these two videos for setting up your Consew 206. These two videos are pretty long, but the go into great detail on how to set the timing and general maintenance of your machine. The first few seconds of each video will give you time stamps for the various topics. Here's a spreadsheet that you can print out for easy reference for the videos.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OlHlEmD9kjYIXMBq15rlYHqlgqbxVezX_NnphFKOmtw/edit?usp=sharing

That spreadsheet is terrific!  Thank you!  Did you make it?  Thanks for sharing.

I do have the machine back in working order now and it's been a learning experience.  Next time will be much easier.

17 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Thanks again!  I've got it working now.  It was my first time with those parts disassembled and I really wasn't sure what I was doing or how things should line up.  A couple of frustrating hours later, all is good again.

Cheers!

Cheers!   I'm glad to see you got it working.  The next ones will be so much easier.  They are mostly all the same.

16 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

That spreadsheet is terrific!  Thank you!  Did you make it?  Thanks for sharing.

I do have the machine back in working order now and it's been a learning experience.  Next time will be much easier.

Yes, I did make the spreadsheet and added it to my three ring binder with various other 206RB manuals. I find the spreadsheet an easy and quick resource in finding specific adjustments. I'm glad you find it useful. Feel free to share with others also.

9 hours ago, jackalopes said:

Yes, I did make the spreadsheet and added it to my three ring binder with various other 206RB manuals. I find the spreadsheet an easy and quick resource in finding specific adjustments. I'm glad you find it useful. Feel free to share with others also.

That spreadsheet is a great idea - Very cool!

1 hour ago, DonInReno said:

That spreadsheet is a great idea - Very cool!

Feel free to copy and modify it for other videos!