JJP5956

Yet another mystery saddle

This old beauty, I have been riding in since the early 1980's. It was purchased from a fella named Bill House and he claimed to be one of the original, if not the original Marlboro men.  Whether, that is true or not, we didn't have the internet back then to help us find out that info. Just given you some background info. 

He hung with another cowboy named Marvin, last name unknown who later broke his neck in a car accident in NJ.  Sad, because this fella could really sit a horse. 

I have had multiple custom saddles made, yet this is always my go to saddle and travels with me wherever I go. It probably has more flyer miles than most people, seeing it has been on many international flights, Island flights and goes with me whenever I go anywhere either to buy, ride, train or do anything horse related. Even just R&R vacations because you just never know...

I wish I could duplicate it because, every single person who has ever had the privilege to ride this saddle has wanted one. Yes, I have had a saddlemaker try, but it just doesn't feel the same, even having someone ride it for over a year to break it in for me. . 

I was told it was purchased at an auction in Oklahoma, because it made its way to NJ, via a group of cowboys that would buy and ship western horses in their rig. 10 horse gooseneck stock trailer. These folks are probably in their early to late 60's, possibly a bit older now. 

Again just background info that might jog someone's memory of a possible history..  

That being said, until recently I never thought to look to see if it had a maker's mark or any other identification. sometimes perfection doesn't need a label. 

I found something but it is indistinguishable, but maybe it would help in my search for the Maker. Whoever made it, I hope they became a great success because like I said there hasn't been a saddle I have ridden in that can compare for an all around ride purpose. 

before I have posted any of my requests for help, I have combed databases for Maker Marks and all sorts of historical data. These three saddles I have requested help with are the only three out of many, I can't seem to find out any info on.

Again, Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide and the best way to care for these old beauties. 

JJs Saddle 1.jpg

Possible makers mark.jpg

Broadway and MGM movie actor Christian Haren won the role as the first Marlboro Man in the early 1960s as he looked the part. Burnett then came across Darrell ...

I haven't looked up any info about what was said back during the sale of the saddle, but now I just might do that. I am surprised I remembered what was told to me, but those are the benefits and detriments of an eidetic memory. A lot of worthless info rattling around in my head.

Thank you for your reply

It appears to be a factory made saddle that someone stamped over the maker's mark.  I could tell you that Jimmy Stewart used it in a 1954 western shot in Circleville, Utah, about a cowboy trying to do the right thing for his elderly father and mother.  BUT, if it came from an auction in Oklahoma, that's about as good as the story will be.  Often times, inexpensive factory made saddles are comfortable, you just don't want to rope a steer or pull a muley pack string using one.

Thank you for the info. 

The story line would make good conversation however the saddle wouldn't meet the time line. Oddly enough you mentioned Jimmy Stewart of all people and he is a relative on my Mom's side..

This old saddle still remains a mystery, but I have to say I have roped off it with no ill effects for over 30 years and I am not talking tossing an occasional rope. I do however make sure its wrapped properly when doing so. 

Whoever made it factory or not it is solid and like I said comfortable. 

I would like to find out the original stamped over/ hidden makers mark and wring the neck of whoever covered it up. When people cover up makers marks it reeks of theft to me and I don't cotton to that kind of stuff. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I would love to see some of your work. 

JJ

I would agree about the "theft" idea.  I used to have a Saddle Shop in Rapid City, SD and handled a lot of used saddles.  Several come in with the makers marks or serial Numbers buggered up.  The Sheriff up there had me call him every time one come in and most of them were on the Stolen list.