DonInReno

111w155s everywhere .....cheapest ever?

I tend to scan for inexpensive walking foot machines and last year there were fewer that came up for sale in my region than normal - makes sense since many people were staying home.

Today it seems there are old Singers everywhere - for years a 111w155 and clutch motor would eventually sell for $350 to $450, now multiple machines are sitting unsold for weeks at $250.   More machines have come up for sale in the last few months than the last 5 years combined - strange times indeed.    Prices will eventually go back up to normal, but for someone looking for a basic old walking foot this might be the best time in decades to pick one up. 

Im curious if flat bed machines are falling out of the sky in other regions as well?

Hey, Don

Here in Pinnacle, North Carolina (a half hour north of Winston-Salem) there are literally a few hundred former mills and furniture factories withing 100 miles most of which a now idle.  And there are still a bunch working, too.  There are an awful lot of industrial machines in the region and 1-1/2 to 2 years ago it was common to see 5-10 on the various Craigslist site in the region.  For the last year there have been darn few and although more are showing up it still hasn't gotten back to where it was and most prices are still up.

Best regards,

Lance

I look in the Oregon area. Mostly southern Oregon. I used to see good industrial walking foot machines quite often in the $500 to $800 range. Not too many Singers but usually Consew 226R or 206RB, Pfaffs 145, 545 & 1245, Juki 562 or 563 and occasional Nakajima 280L. This last year they are impossible to find. And when you do they are $900 to $1200. Maybe people are hanging on to their machines for home based businesses.

16 hours ago, LanceR said:

There are an awful lot of industrial machines in the region and 1-1/2 to 2 years ago it was common to see 5-10 on the various Craigslist site in the region. 

This fall I have a family trip to the outer banks - hopefully there will be a few extra days to look around the state and pick up a machine or two.    :)

14 hours ago, JJN said:

I look in the Oregon area. Mostly southern Oregon. I used to see good industrial walking foot machines quite often in the $500 to $800 range. Not too many Singers but usually Consew 226R or 206RB, Pfaffs 145, 545 & 1245, Juki 562 or 563 and occasional Nakajima 280L. This last year they are impossible to find. And when you do they are $900 to $1200. Maybe people are hanging on to their machines for home based businesses.

That’s interesting - you are probably right about home based businesses.

Maybe all these machines that have popped up lately are a result of something local - maybe someone bought a bunch at an auction and are trickling them out little by little.

A quick look at the Winston-Salem CL pages for sewing machines and including nearby (within two hours) shows Brother CB3-B917-1 button machine FOR $800, Brother DB20736-3 FOR $625,Brother  DB2-B714-3  $575, three Singer 20U33s from $375 to $750, a Juki 562 and Consew 226R-1 from the same seller for $1K each, a Wilcox & Gibbs serger for $350 and a pair of Reliables for $450 each (model unknown).  All are in tables and under power......

As you would expect, I've seen darn few post bed or cylinder arm machines and most of those go far to high for me as any use I'd have for them would be more aspirational that real.  That $375 20u33 is really clean and if I didn't already have a nice smaller machine I'd go look at it.  It's less than an hour away.

00101_eZ5UdOj4l8Bz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

For the Outer Banks you would do well to look at the Eastern NC CL page, Wilmington, NC, Norfolk or Virginia Beach, VA ect depending on where you'll be. We're a half hour north of where I40 passes through Winston-Salem and an hour south of the intersection of I81 and I77 in VA.  If you're out this way give me a shout.

Best regards,

Lance

Thanks for the info! 

They always seem to be around $800 here in central CA.  I lucked out and got a working one years ago for $250 but that seemed like a fluke.

8 hours ago, Willie0 said:

They always seem to be around $800 here in central CA.  I lucked out and got a working one years ago for $250 but that seemed like a fluke.

Over the weekend I was surprised to see a Singer 132k6 that sold in Modesto a few weeks ago - I’m still bummed I missed seeing it sooner!  :)