bmklawt

Help identifing saddle year and care of saddle

Hello,

I joined this forum hoping you can help me identify the year of my father saddle. My father recently passed away and I inherited his saddle, I believe he said he got the saddle when he was 14 and knowing my dad I doubt he bought it new, he was 14 in 1943, I do know this sat in our basement as long as I've been alive, so it has to be older than 1959. Is there a serial number on the saddle, where would I find it? all I see on the saddle is "established 1873 Service, all I've been able to find out about it is its a Bona Allen saddle.

The leather seems to be in good condition, a little dry I think, what can I do for the leather so it does not deteriorate?

Your help is greatly appreciated, Bruce

Saddle 1.jpg

Saddle 2.jpg

Saddle 3.jpg

Not much help, but I’ve also repaired saddles that are not bona Allen’s with that stamp as well. They marked saddles that they had repaired (serviced). I have an old Miller sale in my shop right now that has the stamp on one of the skirts. 

I rode one that looked a lot like that when I was a kid. It also had the strings on the left side.  It was an old Sears Roebuck and had been bought new in 1935, I beleive.    It did not have a makers mark on it anywhere but an old cowboy told me 50+ years ago that several companies, one of them Heiser,  built for Sears, Wards and maybe a couple of others. Some were pretty good saddles and some were junk.  Heiser also built the store saddles for  Fred Mueller Co. in Denver and the once famous Powder River Ropers.  

Edited by Ken Nelson

Hey, I bought the same saddle, with the same stamp a few years back and was wondering if u ever found any info on it

I've been looking for weeks and ur image is the only image I see that is the same saddle?

Any help would be appreciated