DominickTuroski

Singer 29-4 questions

Hello all! I recently added to my lineup a singer 29-4. I've been after this machine for awhile and finally scored one for 300$ on craigslist. It was not sewing when I got it and I knew it needed repair. After an oil, the parts are actually moving very smoothly!

The serial number seems to put this machine to be from 1910(?) which is a bit older than most 29-4's I've seen online so if anyone has more information on this model or can confirm it's age that would be great.

4W5ci5Y.jpg

The first question I have is about the walking foot/upper unit. On most models I see at least 2-3 dials at the top to adjust tension or pressure of then foot and thread. This model does not have an articulated walking foot, but rather it just slides back and forth, always applying pressure. (maybe something that needs to be fixed? or just this model?) I did take off the screw that adjusts stitch length on the foot and moved the bracket so I may have messed something up. 

Er62LPV.jpg

iBKC8Zz.jpg

Question 2: I want to replace the tension disks and spring, do I have to detach the front unit from the large arm to do so?

Question 4: The needles that came with the machine were used with the large hole on the reverse side of the plate, where there is a space ground out underneath (both holes same size). Is the side with the small hole better to use 

DSPIzH0.jpg top/back holes are both the same size, and have circular area ground out on the bottom. Front side has a flat bottom but a smaller hole.

Question 5: The last part is unfortunately not an issue that can be solved with just replacing parts. It seems that the bobbin has worn down the arm surrounding the shuttle and has ground up metal letting the shuttle slip during movement (its the "click" in the video) I have a video operating it slowly showing it pop in and out of place. Anyone have ideas on solving this?

h3N39j7.jpg

Question 6: Currently the machine is not grabbing thread, but that is likely due to the shuttle hook being dull which I will replace. If anyone has suggestions on which to buy it would be appreciated, this seems to be a common problem.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my machine and give any ideas! I hope to get it in use and sewing leather soon. :)

Edited by DominickTuroski
Accidentally had 2 of the same video links

Question #1   the wing nut on the big tension spring will  adjust the height of the walk.  Looking at the back of the machine, move the clamp and wing nut to the left to increase the height of the walk.

Question #2  will have to remove the end of the head to change the tension discs.
Question #4  Depends on size of the needle as to which needle hole in throat plate to use.

Question #5  You can get generics hooks on line.  not real expensive.  I have just come into a large cache of original Singer Simanco small bobbin hooks.  These do not really really exist today in just about any other place. Price for the genuine hook is $50.00 plus shipping. You can message me if you are interested.

glenn

Thank you! 

#5 happens on this model & that is why Singer made the end replaceable on the newer models,There isn't anyway to fix it,we have found that if the hole measures any larger then .950 from side to side it is worn & won't sew properly due to too much slop in the shuttle.