Good morning, 

ive been trying to wrap my head around the maths for figuring out my string size for a braided bosal core. I’m used to working in mm rather than inches and fractions, so it’s taking more brain power than expected! 

im wondering if it’s as simple as taking the core size I want to achieve, and dividing that by the number of strings I want to use to find out what size strings I should use. this is what I usually do for kangaroo lacing, but this is my first time messing with rawhide so not too sure if it’s a different story. 

thanks again ! 

Hi Kiwibraider, core diameter times 1.5 divided by number of strings you wish to use is what I use. Your string thickness times four will tell you how much your braid will add to your core diameter to figure the size core you want. For example, I generally use 1/16 thick strings for hackamores, so my cores need to be 1/4 in. smaller than what I want for a finished hackamore. I use rawhide, so roo may vary, but kind of a rule of thumb. Hope this helps, you can make the metric conversions lol.

36 minutes ago, bucksnort said:

Hi Kiwibraider, core diameter times 1.5 divided by number of strings you wish to use is what I use. Your string thickness times four will tell you how much your braid will add to your core diameter to figure the size core you want. For example, I generally use 1/16 thick strings for hackamores, so my cores need to be 1/4 in. smaller than what I want for a finished hackamore. I use rawhide, so roo may vary, but kind of a rule of thumb. Hope this helps, you can make the metric conversions lol.

Thank you so much! This is perfect, makes complete sense to my metric brain too! Lol. 

thanks again, and happy braiding!! 

Sometimes I would use whatever was handy and maybe have 2 or more braided layers till I reached the core size I was after. Tended to make softer cores that way. But you could make them stiffer by braiding the cores smaller and tighter. 2 or more layer cores are not as fast to make but can be more challenging. The big bosal that I liked the best had a small twisted core with three tightly braided, small string layers over that. Really lively and springy but not steely. There is a difference when they are for sale vs personal use. Happy trails