AzShooter

Another Try, Small Framed Auto

This is for my new Walther P22.  I didn't line it because I wanted it light.  I used a vacuum bag to mold it.  First time doing that.  Fits perfectly.  I think I'll make another only this time lined.

The stitching looks like it picked up the dye from the holster but it's actually the color of the thread.

As always I appreciate all criticizing.

DSC_7512_0184.jpg

great job for sure. You may try taping a strip of leather in between the sights along the top so you get a good front sight channel and then sew around the trigger guard and barrel closer i think that may loosen up with use. I don't always line my holsters either.

You didn't show the back . . . so it's unknown . . . but out front . . . kinda following chuck's lead:

I tape a small dowel rod the height of the front sight . . . to the top of the weapon . . . from front sight to rear sight . . . with vacuum forming . . . it gives me a perfect sight channel every time.

And yes . . . get those stitches a BIG LOT closer to and around the trigger guard.  You can do that easliy with the stitches you have . . . leave them and put an interior row of stitches up right real close to that trigger guard and barrel.  

Up at the top of the stitch line you already have . . . move in towards the trigger guard one full stitch . . . and then use that for the spacing away from the formed leather.  I make mine tight with that row of stitches . . . then add just a tad of dampess . . . work it a bit . . . let it dry . . . they work really well for me that way.

As for lining it . . . it's one of those "some do . . . and some don't" things.  I've lined all sorts of holsters . . . and made bunches without lining.  Just remember to really soak that leather WET before vacuum forming it if you are using 2 layers of leather.  Two bonded layers are as tough to work with as one layer that is 3 times as thick as the leather you are using.

May God bless,

Dwight

Here's the back side. I made one stitch mistake on the belt loop.  Didn't catch it until after the photo.

I see our points.  I used a steel bar for the sight track but I guess it needs to be bigger.  

I'll try stitching closer on the next one.

Walther facing left.jpg

The first thing I noticed is the very generous allowance of space around the front strap of the grip frame allowing a solid "shooting grip" during the draw. Far too many holster designs fall short on this, forcing the user to juggle the pistol in the hand before being able to service a target.

I don't view the issue of stitch-line as anything other than a matter of the style selected for the holster. The location of the stitch-line used on this piece is entirely correct for many holster designs for over a century. The more recent trend toward moving stitch-lines in close around the handgun profile is a modern design feature, but none of the old-time great makers found it an essential element.

Looks like an entirely practical holster design for the small and lightweight P22.

Best regards.

Chuck, Dwight and Lobo:

Thanks for your help and reviews. 

I'm now making an IWB holster for the same gun.  I'm going to modify this design and add two straps to the side, so it will be wider. Next will be one with a steel belt loop.  I'm trying to figure out what size leather I need to attach to the holster where it isn't too thick.  I'm thinking of 7 ounce for the holster and 4 for the spring hook.

I'm getting more interests from the guys I shoot with.  In our sport not many use leather holsters these days, but a few guys just like leather than God.

On 6/6/2021 at 11:22 PM, AzShooter said:

Chuck, Dwight and Lobo:

Thanks for your help and reviews. 

I'm now making an IWB holster for the same gun.  I'm going to modify this design and add two straps to the side, so it will be wider. Next will be one with a steel belt loop.  I'm trying to figure out what size leather I need to attach to the holster where it isn't too thick.  I'm thinking of 7 ounce for the holster and 4 for the spring hook.

I'm getting more interests from the guys I shoot with.  In our sport not many use leather holsters these days, but a few guys just like leather than God.

yw  if you holster does loosen up you can still add the stitching or even a rivet at the corner of the trigger housing and barrel. I've never seen any century old holsters that used the formed holster as the method of keeping the gun in the holster which is what you are attempting its a modern design feature because it s a modern design that holds the gun secure in a different way. i could very well be wrong and would certainly like to see one if so.