Sign in to follow this  
SmithCreek

First post

Hello to all, I am glad I found you folks and am hoping for some guidance.

I have done a little leather work making my own black powder gear to go with my flintlocks such as ball bags, shot pouches and other pouches for gun tools, fire kit etc' and it is o.k. for what it is and matches the period because it looks like it was made in the field as needed by a longhunter but now I want to make my own horse gear and would like it to look a little closer to professional or at least slightly more competent.

Up to this point I have been using mainly pocket knives, scratch awls and sail needles with artificial sinew, the only real leather working tool that I have is a four or five hole punch.        What I would like some help with is selecting a good hobbyist quality tool set, I have looked at amazon but the reviews leave much to be desired, one person raves and the next says most the tools broke with the first use.

The first projects I want to do will be dove wing spur straps, (I have made these before out of oil tan but I made my first spur yesterday and want to make some better looking straps) headstalls, cuffs, halters and way down the road either a deep seat Wade or a old time Visalia or Hubbard but that will be far into the future.

Thanks,

Creek

Welcome from one BP buff to another. You can step your game up with minimal tools. A utility knife, I prefer the retractable blade but not a requirement. An actual diamond awl, a cheap pair of wing dividers, some harness needles and some waxed linen thread. 

If you are familiar with Crazy Crow, they have everything except the dividers and the utility knife. You can probably find those at a Dollar store. And some sort of straight edge. Those should get you on your way.

Waxed Linen Cord - 3 Ply, 45 Yards | Crazy Crow Trading Post

Harness Needles - Size #1 | Craft Needles | Crazy Crow Trading Post

Leather Awl Haft | Craft Tools | Crazy Crow Trading Post

Crazy Crow Trading Post: Diamond-Shaped Awl Blade - 1.5"

Many Thanks, yes sir, Crazy Crow, Townsend and so on. I started to mention a cows knee in items I have built but wasn't sure if anyone would know what I was talking about. I will check out those links, I have dividers and such since I also tinker with metal work. Is there a difference between the awl you mention and the run of the mill sheet metal awls?

I just retired and will be starting a part time deal taking care of a few horses and hopefully starting a couple in a week or two but it will probably be half days most of the time unless there is fence to fix or work at the barn so I will have plenty of time to devote to other interests, and like you I have many.

Thanks again for the response, it is much appreciated.

Creek.

O.K., I went to the link and now I see the difference.

Edited by SmithCreek
leaped before I looked, as usual.

The diamond awl cuts a diamond shaped hole that is less prone to tear out than a round hole. And they are VERY sharp. If your finger is in the way it goes right in.