Spyros

Why do people say "handmade"?

On 6/17/2021 at 8:16 AM, Klara said:

Or maybe people need to accept that being frustrated is part of life sometimes. And that proficiency comes from practice. And that even as an adult you can't expect to be good at new things right from the start. Leatherworkers have the "advantage" that bought patterns and pre-pierced holes make the work a lot easier. For spinners there is no such shortcut. Or for musicians... 

Money is not everything and millions of people do things for fun that won't ever bring in any money at all... I never felt I was getting poorer when working with wool. It was at the markets, waiting for customers, that I got annoyed. My animals and the making of things enrich my life and I would do it for free. Selling is mostly boring, and I want to get paid for it ;)

This may be why I've given up music. The parasites trying to cash in, monetizing the art, thinking they own me.

1 hour ago, Rahere said:

This may be why I've given up music. The parasites trying to cash in, monetizing the art, thinking they own me.

Really?  Given up doing music or listening to it?

On 6/15/2021 at 4:11 AM, mcguyver42 said:

I think the point is value.  Are you in a position and have the desire to deliver value?  Value doesn't always mean the lowest price; as a matter of fact, value usually costs more, and there are plenty enough people who have learned that.  If your expenses are such that you have to compromise, the value goes down, the percentage of repeat business and referrals follow.  Here now, you can either scale things back or try to build an image to attract new business.  If you don't have the desire to deliver value, well I guess that cant be learned or taught.  You simply cash in by working the "spread".  Hopefully most craftsman are the folks that have the desire to offer competent service or products at a fair price.

If you are working for a customer then what they want drives the product quality and price.  If you are selling into some kind of retail market then you have to decide what that market will be and if you have the skillset and connections to get into it.

2 hours ago, sbrownn said:

Really?  Given up doing music or listening to it?

Doing. I was guided in voice by Sir Geraint Evans' wife, and passed it on to a fellow chorister who became the top Baroque coach of his generation, the choir we saved from Britten's buggering about produced Florence Welch, Ed Simons, and a long list of others.. I left to make a career which was capped by a decent share in the top gong known to man, and planned to return in retirement, aged 56. But the system was rigged in 1977, and is still out of control. It's typified by about £1.5 bn put into the music arts during this crisis: not a penny reached the performers. Why feed the monsters? These are Epstein/Weinberg clones. Before the lockdowns happened, I'd had it with them anyway: I'd made it to Stagecraft Mentor with London's Southbank (Royal Festival Hall), which then crashed because of financial stupidity, as did the LSO and several others. I've spent the last 15 months studying the psychology of trauma and failure, and right now, the UK's a potential bomb of resentment. Attunement's gone, we kicked ass over innoculations, and ventilators (thanks to work my father did guided by Prince Philip), we're doing fine at soccer, so empathy's zero.

I'm not going to dive deeper in name-dropping, I'm hated enough already. 

Wow, this topic just keeps going doesn't it  :) Just like the leather projects we make....by hand  :)

HS

14 hours ago, Rahere said:

Doing. I was guided in voice by Sir Geraint Evans' wife, and passed it on to a fellow chorister who became the top Baroque coach of his generation, the choir we saved from Britten's buggering about produced Florence Welch, Ed Simons, and a long list of others.. I left to make a career which was capped by a decent share in the top gong known to man, and planned to return in retirement, aged 56. But the system was rigged in 1977, and is still out of control. It's typified by about £1.5 bn put into the music arts during this crisis: not a penny reached the performers. Why feed the monsters? These are Epstein/Weinberg clones. Before the lockdowns happened, I'd had it with them anyway: I'd made it to Stagecraft Mentor with London's Southbank (Royal Festival Hall), which then crashed because of financial stupidity, as did the LSO and several others. I've spent the last 15 months studying the psychology of trauma and failure, and right now, the UK's a potential bomb of resentment. Attunement's gone, we kicked ass over innoculations, and ventilators (thanks to work my father did guided by Prince Philip), we're doing fine at soccer, so empathy's zero.

I'm not going to dive deeper in name-dropping, I'm hated enough already. 

Reading your posts I think the only thing you have not done is to shake hands with Neil Armstrong on the moon , but I could be wrong

4 hours ago, chrisash said:

Reading your posts I think the only thing you have not done is to shake hands with Neil Armstrong on the moon , but I could be wrong

Well, tough, I've actually understated the truth. But tell you what, if you can't cope, hold that button over my name and select ignore. As I'm about to do to you.

The medics have a code for your area, NFN. Normal for Norfolk. Try not to judge others by yourself.

Edited by Rahere

4 hours ago, chrisash said:

Don't feed the troll

and.......what has any of this got to do with the topic of hand made?  :dunno: 

HS

While it doesn't exactly relate to the handmade discussion, I had an interesting discussion last week concerning "genuine leather".  Seems the term is highly misunderstood.  All in the group thought that it meant that the product was top quality leather.  The lesson I learned is to not assume people know what you are talking about.  Educate them.

14 hours ago, Handstitched said:

and.......what has any of this got to do with the topic of hand made?  :dunno: 

HS

One time one of my students asked me what a lecture on global warming had to do with a class in CAD based finite element analysis...life is a learning experience so don't cut the opportunity short.

I would imagine that being THAT specific is important to some. To me "handmade" means MY product. I do not skin the animal I rely on Herman Oak to ensure that happened. I do not grade, select, clean stretch and hang the leather I work with; again I rely on Herman Oak and yes THOSE processes are done by hand. The tanning and finishing , again Herman Oak. I cut measure and cut EVERY single piece I use, BY HAND. I lay out, bevel, dye every piece BY HAND. I do not make the beads I use in some but I do string EVERY SINGLE one BY HAND. I layout, draw or trace every design BY HAND. I cut and tool EVERY design BY HAND even though I did not make the designs on most of the tools (some I do). No embossing. I then sew either BY HAND or with a HAND OPERATED (non-electric) machine. I Dye, Oil and Polish every piece BY HAND. If you pick up a Purse, bag or most especially a Saddle you can definitely tell the difference if made by a machine or with someone who actually cares. Machines don't feel and it shows. Most who care enough to do things with their hands do care and that ALSO shows. That's one of many reasons "Handmade" Boots or shoes are usually 10 times the price and QUALITY of those made by a machine. So yes MY products are "handmade" To me and a lot who work with their hands the sweat, love, effort, pride and result is more important than being 100% specific on EXACTLY how picky some wish to be; whether out of interest or just to be difficult. Gotta go have more "handmade" things to do.

I am REALLY glad I stopped reading this thread on the 2nd page! 

19 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

lol! Bug a salt rocks! i now have a nice mostly unused "handmade" leather fly swatter.

21 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

You mean you actually got that far !?!   :lol:

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

. . . now have a nice mostly unused "handmade" leather fly swatter.

me too  :blink:  :)

If you want to hunt flies, come over here...