TomMeyers

Saddle stitch from one side

I saw a video of a saddle stitch being done while the person sewing could only see one side and feel the other side.

It was a handbag.

Is there a trick to this? Something that minimizes the number of times i poke my finger.

That person sewing passed the two needles in the hole. It appeared that he used a fine needle. He seemed to insert one needle and used that to find the hole for tje second (inside) needle.

Thanks, Tom

8 minutes ago, TomMeyers said:

I saw a video of a saddle stitch being done while the person sewing could only see one side and feel the other side.

It was a handbag.

Is there a trick to this? Something that minimizes the number of times i poke my finger.

That person sewing passed the two needles in the hole. It appeared that he used a fine needle. He seemed to insert one needle and used that to find the hole for tje second (inside) needle.

Thanks, Tom

the "trick" is alot of practice! 

OK, i better get started!!!

Ow ouch ow ouch ... aaaaah

Thanks, Tom

8 hours ago, TomMeyers said:

Thats basically how I sew. I only look at one side of my project, usually the right hand side. No ows! cos I pre-punch my sewing holes and only very occasionally need the awl to open up a hole if a needle won't go through cleanly

In minutiae, the first needle is pushed as far as the eye, and then withdrawn so only a third is right through The second goes 2/3, following it, then the first the same. that then gives you enough to grip on the other side.

This is the traditional way to sew.  Back then, people needed to be able to push with force and so their sewing clam (stitching pony, but held between legs at an angle) rested against one leg.  Before the modern tools, people (especially saddlers) had to be able to push through very thick leather with only a mark on the front side.

To make it easier, you can hold a cork in the left hand, such as from a bottle of wine.  Besides, it gives an excuse to open a bottle of wine.  Push the awl through the leather while holding the cork against the back.  Then, withdraw the cork and carefully feel for the awl.

Then, rest your left needle on top of the awl blade (in the back where you cannot see), and as you pull the awl back through you learn to follow it with the needle.

It take a LOT of practice to be able to stitch a straight line in the front and also the back.  Usually the less visible side will look a little bit like the Alps, but the front will look great.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I am now going to try that.

Further; the way I do it is;

Needle in right hand goes into hole first, when its about 1/3 to 1/2 way thru the needle in the left hand is pushed into hole, using right needle as guide. Right hand needle is close to me, the left needle is away from me. When the two needles are in the hole finger grip is changed so that my right hand now pulls the left needle thru and left hand pulls the right needle thru. Left hand pulls needle and thread thru and back towards me and right hand pulls needle and thread thru and away from me, thus the two threads always lie the same way

repeat above 

There is another way I've had some good results with . . . 

Push the needle all the way thru on the outside . . .  then pull it down inside . . . holding it with the little finger and palm . . . pulling down on it . . . you can then fairly easily find the hole as it is pulled stretched open . . . and the inside needle can be then started back thru it.

Takes some practice . . . but you don't poke yer fingers any where near as much as some other ways.

May God bless,

Dwight