Mocivnik

From Tippman to...electric?

So, I have had a Tippmann Boss for about 2 years now, and I must say, it did most of the job as it should. Its not perfect, but I'd rate it 5/7.

This week, I got a neighbour complaint, that it's "too damn loud" so I have to upgrade machinery to electric one.  I'm mostly working on belts, holsters, sheaths and bags, that's over 90% of my work. I am located in central Europe, Slovenia.

A must-have for next sewing machine is:
-electric, 110/230V, single phase

-have to sew AT LEAST 10mm of veg tan (preferably more, but at least 10mm or 3/8")

-top + bottom feed, can't leave no markings (sheaths, holsters, bags)

-quieter than Tippmann (which shouldn't be a problem, since nearly nothing isn't loud as that anchor :D )

-preferably portable, so I can put it on my desk and take it off after work aswell. (something in size of tippmann would be perfect, but  like a great philosopher Mick Jagger once said: "You can't always get what you want")

Please let me know, what kind of machine would you take for this kind of job, what do you think about changing machines, any other suggestions and/or remarks :)

11 hours ago, Mocivnik said:

have to sew AT LEAST 10mm of veg tan (preferably more, but at least 10mm or 3/8")

I don't know what sewing machines are available to you in Slovenia and am going to assume you are needing a cylinder bed machine. I would think you are going to be looking at cylinder bed machines above the Juki LS -1341(V69-V138) like the Juki TSH-441model (V346 and above) and clones. It will also depend a lot on what thread size you are planning on using not just the thickness it can sew. As far as being portable machines that are capable of sewing what you want is probably not going to happen. These machines are going to weight much more then the 9.5 kg (21lbs) Tippmann Boss you are use to lifting around. Expect the machine heads to be in excess of 37 kg ( 81lbs ) for 1341 class machines and 56 kg( 123lbs ) for 441 class machines. Also these machines are expensive (3 plus times the cost) of your Tippmann Boss).

Another option in the one armed bandits maybe a Weaver Cub ($1650 US). I have never used either the Tippmann Boss or the Weaver Cub myself but I would suspect the Weaver Cub to be quieter as it uses a wheel to cycle the needle versus a lever action.

kgg

Might be cheaper to add sound proofing to your work space or rent a different workspace as all machines make noise. Is the neighbour next to where you work or above or below, depending where they are situated sound proofing may be the best option

If you place a thick matt under the machine that may help reduce noise or a rubber mat under the work table

If you are using machine portable it might be quieter bolted down. 

On 6/11/2021 at 2:19 AM, kgg said:

I don't know what sewing machines are available to you in Slovenia and am going to assume you are needing a cylinder bed machine. I would think you are going to be looking at cylinder bed machines above the Juki LS -1341(V69-V138) like the Juki TSH-441model (V346 and above) and clones. It will also depend a lot on what thread size you are planning on using not just the thickness it can sew. As far as being portable machines that are capable of sewing what you want is probably not going to happen. These machines are going to weight much more then the 9.5 kg (21lbs) Tippmann Boss you are use to lifting around. Expect the machine heads to be in excess of 37 kg ( 81lbs ) for 1341 class machines and 56 kg( 123lbs ) for 441 class machines. Also these machines are expensive (3 plus times the cost) of your Tippmann Boss).

Another option in the one armed bandits maybe a Weaver Cub ($1650 US). I have never used either the Tippmann Boss or the Weaver Cub myself but I would suspect the Weaver Cub to be quieter as it uses a wheel to cycle the needle versus a lever action.

kgg

Yeah, that's the info I needed :D 
The thread is 346 probably (or equal to /10 to threads I'm getting in my country).

I was thinking about the weaver's cub, but I doubt it's much quieter. Tippmann's problem is only foot striking down, nothing else actually. And cub seems to be simmilar loud, compared to tippmann here.

But I solved the problem already: Spoke to other neighbours, noone can hear a single stitch from my appartment, figured out, that only this neighbour is p*ick. He's complaining over anything. I already sew from that time on, so this is it I guess.
He's my floor, neighbour appartment. Below me there's noone.

I will probably put some thick rubber below my machine aswell, but kinda doubt it's gonna make much quieter after it. 

4 hours ago, Mocivnik said:

But I solved the problem already: Spoke to other neighbours, noone can hear a single stitch from my appartment, figured out, that only this neighbour is p*ick. He's complaining over anything. I already sew from that time on, so this is it I guess.

Glad you got the noise problem under control. Neighbors come in a types, some good, some bad. I pity people living in such close quarters.Glad I don't have that problem as my closest neighbor in any direction is about a mile away. Real social distancing.

kgg

Yeah, but for me it's that impossible...for now. ALthough I want to live someday on a place like this I guess.

BUT, back on topic: how quiet are for example, electric machines? I've never had any real feel as I've never seen one sew alive.

35 minutes ago, Mocivnik said:

BUT, back on topic: how quiet are for example, electric machines? I've never had any real feel as I've never seen one sew alive.

I have a type of servo motor that is "analog" and has replaceable brushes, a replaceable cork brake and a speed control knob that rotates (rotary switch) to limit the speed. It is very common and sold under different brand names in various countries and geo-locations. The motor itself is extremely quiet in operation and totally silent until it is activated. A kitchen appliance is much noisier than this servo motor. Here is the servo motor I use. I'm confident you can find a similar make in your country, or import one.

5 minutes ago, Mocivnik said:

how quiet are for example, electric machines?

Depends on a couple of things. If your drive motor is a clutch motor or a servo motor also whether the sewing machine is a upholstery class machine or a 441 class machine.

Clutch Motors:

i) Are always running at their top speed which is typically either 1725 rpm or 3450 rpm and use a clutch to transfer the power to the drive belt.

ii) Have a steep learning curve to get use to feathering the clutch to get the proper sewing speed.

iii) Noisy since there is always a humming noise when the motor is powered.

iv) Energy inefficient.

Servo Motors:

i) Only consumes about 75 percent what would be required to power a clutch motor when running. Since the motor isn't consuming energy when not running it probably works out to be closer to 90 percent less energy consumed for the same amount of sewing. 

ii) More available low end torque.

iii) Quiet more like a domestic sewing machine. The noise difference would be like that of standing alongside of gasoline car verse a diesel truck.

kgg

Also a modern brushless servo motor allows you to control start up and top speed functions as well as fitting a needle positioner so that when you take your foot off the pedal the machine stops with either the needle up or down every time and a slight back movement  moves it to the opposite position

You mention using 346 thread, obviously a heavy thread which means you're looking at something like 441-class machine. Definitely not portable!

If the Tippman is doing what you want then perhaps you could give the neighbour some earplugs?:whistle: