Sign in to follow this  
spacedog

Looking for advice on carving a face

This face is outside my comfort zone. I have watched a couple videos since starting this and it seems closer to sculpting since there are no hard lines. This is really my first time embossing the leather by pushing up from underneath too. The folds around the eyes, depth to the lips... I know this will take practice. I was hoping for a little advice from some of the experienced and talented people on the site. Thanks.

IMG_5364.JPG

I read in a magazine how to take a flat board with a hole drilled through.  Use that as a way to hold your lather down while you push up through the hole using a modeling tool with the leather slightly damp from underneath.  I tried it out and got some impressive results.  

10 hours ago, JayEhl said:

I read in a magazine how to take a flat board with a hole drilled through.  Use that as a way to hold your lather down while you push up through the hole using a modeling tool with the leather slightly damp from underneath.  I tried it out and got some impressive results.  

Thanks for the input. I have tried to push up and out with the nose and cheekbones, but I'm afraid to get carried away. I think I got too aggressive in the pressure around her left eye. I've been using a spoon instead of a beveler, as I don't have a smooth pear shader either. It will just take practice I guess.

What do you think I should do about the fact I have made it all without a background on the outside? Does it look okay, or should I try putting it in? I thought the snake heads and tail might disappear if I did.

I am by far NOT any kind of expert on design or art or anything much for that matter!  But I think a background isn't necessary from what I'm able to see from your photo.  Maybe a spiffy border and call it good. Others here may have something else to add.  

On 6/10/2021 at 1:27 PM, spacedog said:

This face is outside my comfort zone. I have watched a couple videos since starting this and it seems closer to sculpting since there are no hard lines. This is really my first time embossing the leather by pushing up from underneath too. The folds around the eyes, depth to the lips... I know this will take practice. I was hoping for a little advice from some of the experienced and talented people on the site. Thanks.

IMG_5364.JPG

there are a couple of very good Stohlman books on pictorial carving in the tandy library website. They are free ebooks . https://tandyleather.com/blogs/leathercraft-library/tagged/ebooks

8 hours ago, JayEhl said:

I am by far NOT any kind of expert on design or art or anything much for that matter!  But I think a background isn't necessary from what I'm able to see from your photo.  Maybe a spiffy border and call it good. Others here may have something else to add.  

Well, that is what I was thinking too, but then background isn't my strong suit. Thanks for giving me your input.

8 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

there are a couple of very good Stohlman books on pictorial carving in the tandy library website. They are free ebooks . https://tandyleather.com/blogs/leathercraft-library/tagged/ebooks

Thanks. I will check it out. I have watched a couple videos on carving figures on too. Tony Bernier was interesting. Any opinions on if I need to background it or if a Greek influenced border would work?

10 hours ago, spacedog said:

Well, that is what I was thinking too, but then background isn't my strong suit. Thanks for giving me your input.

Thanks. I will check it out. I have watched a couple videos on carving figures on too. Tony Bernier was interesting. Any opinions on if I need to background it or if a Greek influenced border would work?

i think a greek border.

The piece of leather I started this on is oddly shaped, so putting a border on it wasn't feasible. I did try dyeing it with diluted colors. The only paint I used was bright green on the corneas in the eyes. I'm not sure what to do with it next. I will probably put some resist on it and then antique it, unless someone has a better idea. Let me know what you think. Thanks

IMG_5398.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG