rlevine

Suggestions for mitigating eccentric needle bar hole

Any thoughts on how to live with an eccentric hole in a needle bar?

Here's a quick video of the issue. The needle should be fairly close to the feed wheel (which is what makes the machine very useful) but in this case, if I tighten the needle screw, the needle shifts left far enough so that it's being deflected to the right by the feed wheel. It'll sew a bit, but any slight tugging to the left will cause it to hit the wheel. In the video, the needle screw is *not* tightened.

I'd replace the needle bar, but it's a Singer 110W125 and the part seems to be unobtainium. 

Two possibilities:

• Does anyone know of a compatible needle bar to swap in?
  • Or, is there a (reasonable) way to kludge the bar to keep the needle straighter? I've not tried a toothpick, nor have I dropped some solder into the hole.

Thanks!

Edited by rlevine

Would a small piece of coke can placed on the opposite and lower part of the needle hole be a temporary fix?

Hmm. On further experimentation, I might be able to get away with rotating the needle bar 180 degrees. Any reason not to? The thread guide cut into the needle bar might work less well, but any other downside?

I'll have to double check tomorrow,I'm almost certain we have a few in stock.