Sign in to follow this  
bigsig11010

First attempt at chest holster

This is my first attempt at making a holster. Its a chest type holster for a ruger m III 22. The body is 8-10 veg tan and the lining is im guessing 4 from a box of scrap pieces.  I made a pattern then cut out the leather by hand and sewed with my new cowboy outlaw sewing machine. 

I didnt attempt any stamping or design so its very plain. I did attempt wet molding but Im not thrilled with the result. 

I would like to use some type of natural oil or conditioner etc that will softly darken for the final finish and would appreciate any suggestions. 

Im very new and learning and would welcome any thoughts ideas etc on how to improve. 

20210609_075406_copy_600x800.jpg

A coat of linseed and 1/2 a day in the sun will darken that just enough.

Ok thank you

Neatsfoot oil with a bit of saddle tan mixed in or not let it dry for a few days don't be in a rush. Then some very thin coats of resolene cut 50/50 with water very thin coats then if you like some gum tragacanth inside for some smooth in and out gun action be sure to do this last don't get the gum trag on the outside of the holster

all that said that's just what I would do, I don't think I would put linseed on it.

One cautionary note if you do use the linseed on a rag to put it on or rub it in DON'T leave the rag in the house due to that spontaneous combustion thing don't want to get into it but one time I almost lost a building due to it .

Sorry I meant to say neatsfoot oil. I would not do linseed myself. Getting my gunstock finishes crossed with my leather finishes. 

Im learning as I go. The pistol fits well but Ive got the front too high. Its very difficult to get hold of enough of the grip to get it out of the holster

13 hours ago, bigsig11010 said:

Im learning as I go. The pistol fits well but Ive got the front too high. Its very difficult to get hold of enough of the grip to get it out of the holster

Glad to hear you did not put the linseed on yet. By the way it looks like a great first holster. 

Now that I realize that there is an issue with grip to remove pistol from holster should I attempt to modify this holster or hang it up as a learning experience and start from scratch with another with more grip exposed? How do those who do these type projects regularly handle these situations?

I generally start over but hang on to the original piece for me to review where I can do better.  But that's just me.