Bert03241

Whats Next? Loop Holster

Trying another Loop Holster heres were I'm at. Whats next?  I know I need to bevel edges, sand edges, kote edges and assemble  the holster then Mold it.

BUT in what order would I do all this. Also should I wet the holster to assemble it or try to do it dry?

IMG_20210610_180620266 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20210610_191822511 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20210610_191843853 (Copy).jpg

Punched stitch holes and still it looks agh - sorry, but there's a point where corrective action's needed. About the only way that might work is braid-lacing the edges. Or use the laser to mark the line for stitching punches. Dampening the leather before sewing up's entirely up to you. It might help the stitching embed, but I'd use an edge groover first, to create a ditch for the stitching to lie in. It'll protect the thread, because I'd presume the holster will be used in the field in some shape or form.

The first thing I saw was the huge holes for the stitching. Most everything else is fine, but that just makes it look like a Tandy kit. An awl and stitch marker will improve your work immensely. I would recommend 6 to the inch, but that is just my choice.

Oh did I make a mistake and post in critique my work? Thought I posted in How do I do that and asked specific questions on what to do next and in what order. Let me repost in the right area:oops:

46 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

what to do next

I think you need to mold it before sewing it together.

Like you, I use a laser to cut leather, but have never considered making a molded holster because, from what I understand, you are supposed to sew the seams together after you have form fitted the leather around the gun. When you sew the holster together before molding the leather, you won't be able to achieve the snug fit you're looking for.

So, wet it, mold it and let it dry; then assemble, trim, bevel, sand and coat the edges.

Hope that helps.

No, you must stitch it together first. Then a QUICK dunk in and out of water. Let it sit for a few minutes while you wrap the pistol in saran wrap. Put it in the holster and begin forming with your fingers. Do not rub with any tool or you will get burnished areas. If you try to form it before stitching you will never get together as it will be stretched out of shape. I am going to try doing it in a Seal-A-Meal with my next one.

11 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Oh did I make a mistake and post in critique my work? Thought I posted in How do I do that and asked specific questions on what to do next and in what order. Let me repost in the right area:oops:

you can always search the forum yourself you will find your answer many times over. people just trying to help you friend.

19 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

You've not seen me being critical, have you? I was once a Sergeant-Major. I'm not Mary Poppins, and gun hardware needs to stand up to the job. Be thankful...what I addressed is an issue. There's no way to sugar-coat it. In years to come you'll see.

15 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

No, you must stitch it together first. Then a QUICK dunk in and out of water. Let it sit for a few minutes while you wrap the pistol in saran wrap. Put it in the holster and begin forming with your fingers. Do not rub with any tool or you will get burnished areas. If you try to form it before stitching you will never get together as it will be stretched out of shape. I am going to try doing it in a Seal-A-Meal with my next one.

That is one opinion . . . not mine . . . and I specialize in CCW holsters that ARE form fitted before sewing.

My holsters are form fitted in a vacuum forming machine . . . rubbed with any tool I need to get the proper forming I want . . . and with one exception . . . have not had one holster returned.  The one holster returned was because of an error made in the design . . . not in the execution of the design.

After form fitting and drying overnight . . . they are then contact cemented together . . . stitched together. . . . edges leveled . . . edges beveled . . . dyed . . . edges burnished . . . and final finish.

Has worked for me for 20 years.

May God bless,

Dwight 

I don't have a vacuum machine, and I'm at a total loss as to how you could possibly mold the holster before sewing and then fold it over and get it thru the loops. Please tell me how this is done?

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

That is one opinion . . . not mine . . . and I specialize in CCW holsters that ARE form fitted before sewing.

My holsters are form fitted in a vacuum forming machine . . . rubbed with any tool I need to get the proper forming I want . . . and with one exception . . . have not had one holster returned.  The one holster returned was because of an error made in the design . . . not in the execution of the design.

After form fitting and drying overnight . . . they are then contact cemented together . . . stitched together. . . . edges leveled . . . edges beveled . . . dyed . . . edges burnished . . . and final finish.

Has worked for me for 20 years.

May God bless,

Dwight 

tried to look at your website got a 404 error. did you take it down?

4 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I don't have a vacuum machine, and I'm at a total loss as to how you could possibly mold the holster before sewing and then fold it over and get it thru the loops. Please tell me how this is done?

tried to look at your website got a 404 error. did you take it down?

Well, . . . Bert . . . If I had access to the tapes I learned that trick from  . . .  it was John Bianchi . . . who showed me how. 

You are careful . . . you take your time . . . you flatten the holster with your hand . . . bend it just enough to get it thru the loops . . . and once in and ready . . . a good stuffing of it with the appropriate firearm . . . voila you are in business.

If you can get the VHS tapes or the DVD of his basic western holster making . . . well worth a $100 investment in my personal opinion.  It took me from a seriously strained rookie . . . to making fairly good holsters in only a week.

Oh . . . and yes . . . took down the website for fixing . . . haven't fixed it yet.

May God bless,

Dwight

Well to be honest I'm probably not going to make any more of this type. This ones for me and its really just to hold the gun. I'm not going to wear it anywhere LOL.Just wanted something to put it in .I'm not in business, I'm old and this is just something I do for fun. 

Well you guys got me lookin and yes the stitch holes aren't very becoming. So I said to myself is there anything I can do to fix this.Then I came up with this really brilliant idea to try and cover up the holes some how, and decided to edge kote them. WRONG:censored2:Idea:ranting2::oops:Good thing this is not for anyone but me and will hang in a closed closet, never to see the light of day again.:smashcomp:

IMG_20210613_191512479.jpg

Edited by Bert03241

Doesn't look all that bad. The Edge Kote does a pretty good job of camouflaging.

Thanks, maybe someday I'll get another revolver that needs a holster , and I'll take in all the tips you guys gave me and make another one.

Bert,

Having made quite a few holsters, I offer the following as suggestions.

Stitching: Get a set of 4mm lacing chisels. Cut out your leather and tool it (If desired), dye it then lay out your stitching line. Use the chisels by placing them on your stitch line and then using your mallet use them to pierce the leather. This will make your stitch holes evenly spaced and properly sized along the stitch line. For the actual stitching, you will need a clam to hold the hold the project along with two needles and thread. 

Assembly: After finishing your stitching, submerge the entire project in warm water for no longer 10 seconds then sit aside until it appears dry on its surface. Then fold the holster body through the loops and if desired, insert your pistol (wrapped in plastic) into the holster and work the leather with your fingers and thumbs to mould the holster to the gun. Leave the gun i the holster over night until the leather is completely dry, then oil and wax the leather.

12 hours ago, Mustangdave said:

Bert,

Having made quite a few holsters, I offer the following as suggestions.

Stitching: Get a set of 4mm lacing chisels. Cut out your leather and tool it (If desired), dye it then lay out your stitching line. Use the chisels by placing them on your stitch line and then using your mallet use them to pierce the leather. This will make your stitch holes evenly spaced and properly sized along the stitch line. For the actual stitching, you will need a clam to hold the hold the project along with two needles and thread. 

Assembly: After finishing your stitching, submerge the entire project in warm water for no longer 10 seconds then sit aside until it appears dry on its surface. Then fold the holster body through the loops and if desired, insert your pistol (wrapped in plastic) into the holster and work the leather with your fingers and thumbs to mould the holster to the gun. Leave the gun i the holster over night until the leather is completely dry, then oil and wax the leather.

Just a detail on the punches. Because both sides are visible, a double set of left and right orientated punches is needed to ensure the slope they cut runs the same way front and back. If you imagine the same slope, and open the seam flat, you'll see what I mean, matching holes chevron on the flat.

/|\
/|\
/|\