SewMuchToLearn

Logo / Maker's Mark / Hot Press or Cold Press?

I am pretty new to leatherwork, making bags and purses using only veg tan, mostly Horween Essex and Dublin. I want to add my logo to my projects, and I plan to get a custom metal stamp to do this. I expect my logo to be pretty small, like maybe an inch square, maximum.  I looked through the forums but couldn't find the answers I'm looking for -- feel free to direct me to any relevant posts that I overlooked.

1) For the leathers I use, how would I choose between using a hot press machine or cold stamping? I know that a hot press machine also allows me to use foil, but that is not a concern right now, so is there an advantage to getting a hot press machine since it seems like the more expensive option? Will the mark look better using heat? Will a hot press make it look darkened like it's been branded? The look I'm going for is just a clean impression, with no color change if possible.

2) If I don't use a hot press machine, I think my non-heated options would be to wet the leather and then either use a mallet to hammer in the stamp or an arbor press to apply the force. Are there other options that I'm not aware of?

3) Depending on the answers to 1 & 2, is there a particular type of metal that I should get the stamp made out of? I think I've seen aluminum and brass mentioned...what do you recommend? I hope to use this stamp for a long time.

4) Depending on the answers to 1 & 2, what kind of backing shape should I look for on my stamp? Maybe a threaded screw sticking out the back, a flat back with a hole, or something else? I don't know what the options are, and I don't want to get the wrong thing for my needs.

Thank you for any advice you can share. I had hoped to attend a trade show or two by this point in my leatherworking career,  but with Covid, I've had to rely on the internet instead.

2 hours ago, SewMuchToLearn said:

I am pretty new to leatherwork, making bags and purses using only veg tan, mostly Horween Essex and Dublin. I want to add my logo to my projects, and I plan to get a custom metal stamp to do this. I expect my logo to be pretty small, like maybe an inch square, maximum.  I looked through the forums but couldn't find the answers I'm looking for -- feel free to direct me to any relevant posts that I overlooked.

1) For the leathers I use, how would I choose between using a hot press machine or cold stamping? I know that a hot press machine also allows me to use foil, but that is not a concern right now, so is there an advantage to getting a hot press machine since it seems like the more expensive option? Will the mark look better using heat? Will a hot press make it look darkened like it's been branded? The look I'm going for is just a clean impression, with no color change if possible.

1. Its almost impossible to make a decent mark in chrome tanned leather just by cold pressing or hammering. You don't really need a hot machine, a good interchangeable tip soldering iron or pyrogravure will do

2) If I don't use a hot press machine, I think my non-heated options would be to wet the leather and then either use a mallet to hammer in the stamp or an arbor press to apply the force. Are there other options that I'm not aware of?

2. I prefer a press, an arbor will do the job

3) Depending on the answers to 1 & 2, is there a particular type of metal that I should get the stamp made out of? I think I've seen aluminum and brass mentioned...what do you recommend? I hope to use this stamp for a long time.

3. Brass all the way. Long lasting, will heat up easily

4) Depending on the answers to 1 & 2, what kind of backing shape should I look for on my stamp? Maybe a threaded screw sticking out the back, a flat back with a hole, or something else? I don't know what the options are, and I don't want to get the wrong thing for my needs.

4. I get my stamps made in brass with a flat back and a 5mm tapped hole in the back centre. Then I can, if I want, put a 5mm threaded rod (usually supplied) in and slip it on to the soldering iron

1. Its almost impossible to make a decent mark in chrome tanned leather just by cold pressing or hammering. You don't really need a hot machine, a good interchangeable tip soldering iron or pyrogravure will do

What about making a decent mark in veg tan leather, like Horween Essex or Dublin?

11 minutes ago, SewMuchToLearn said:

What about making a decent mark in veg tan leather, like Horween Essex or Dublin?

I don't know those leathers, I have no experience of them

If they are veg tanned; cased, veg tanned hand stamps easily, arbor pressed the stamp can make a good impression in dry or cased, cased is better but it can be done dry as well

This is my stamp on horween derby (dublin and derby are essentially the same thing). You can get a decent impression but don't expect to achieve it with the usual casing with water and mallet. That won't do much to this leather. This was a brass stamp pressed in with a cheapo harbor freight 1-ton arbor press.

If you want to be even cheaper and your forearms are up to the challenge, you can skip the arbor press and get a decent impression with a couple of clutch wood clamps (no trigger or spring clamps) and something solid and flat like a cutting board.

3-01.jpeg