WeiFeng

Help identifying a Consew machine

Hello all, I am new here and new to sewing as well.

Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong area, and if I am please direct me to where I should be.

I recently purchased a Consew walking foot machine to get started with reupholstering the seats in a few of my cars. The machine came with a table setup with a servo motor which I thought was a nice way to get started. The guy that I purchased the machine from was nice enough to show the machine in operation and everything seemed ok.

The problem is there are no identifying tags and neither one of us knows what model machine this is, so I am looking for some help from those that are more in the know. 

I was able to find a few markings on the machine that may help with the identification. On the bottom of the machine there is a bold stamp that says Seiko N1 with and additional L6723. On the front of the machine there is only one tag “WE 8708068”

My initial complaint is the inability to change the stitch length. 

Thank you     

E8F24C1F-7CC7-427C-AE25-E12C35828694.jpeg

FA3BC39D-B9EA-46C2-BF78-788B430B866E.jpeg

Consew 225. Made in 1987.

Thank you. 

I obviously don’t have a manual. Any idea how to adjust the thread length? And, while I’m at it, are there any recommended suppliers to get quality welting feet and other attachments? Don’t want to buy any old pieces of junk.

Book should show stitch adjustment. Hold down button in bed ( left one maybe) and turn handwheel forward and back to set stitch length. Numbers on handwheel show setting. Mine lacks the dial. 

D5E340E1-8C91-42DC-A670-3AEC5F9ADE57.thumb.jpeg.f7d44c41817322b1027c9f1a9844d0b4.jpegWow this is precisely the information that I was looking for, so thank you all.

I will soon get started on cleaning things up a bit and perhaps change the belts. I’ve seen one of the hook & needle timing videos that another contributor was kind enough to produce, so I will work my way towards checking that out in due course.

As I eluded to earlier, the 225 came setup on a table with a clutch motor and a servo. I am thinking of investigating the what it would take to reduce the size of the wheel that is attached to the motor in order to slow down the machine to crawling/walking speeds which should aid in my learning curve. 

Are there any particular solvent based cleaners that is recommended to cleanup the internal gearing (perhaps Simple Green?)

I am not exactly sure about needle sizes as it pertains to different fabrics and threads, but the machine came with two packs of needles, bobbins, and the thread that he was using. 

Is it true that this machine will sew 138 thread up to ⅜” thickness? I don’t have a clue as to how to tell the thread thickness.

I am also unclear as to the numbering system pertaining to needle sizes. I read on hear somewhere that #22 needle is used for leather, but that in and of itself doesn’t mean a whole lot to me. Ignorance is not at all blissful. 

D5E340E1-8C91-42DC-A670-3AEC5F9ADE57.jpeg

13D88A2B-06E1-4DD6-B092-2F932C51D8D1.jpeg

The Consew is a clone of the Singer 111. The thread you show is a TEX 70 also known as size 69 or 3 ply. I normally run a size 18 or 110 metric (1.1mm) for that size  or up to 92 thread. I have not run 138 in my 112 as it doesn’t seem to have enough clearance in the hook. Bobbins are size G.. The needle system most of these machines were set up for is a 135x17. Some were set up for other needle systems by adjusting the needle bar position. Groz-Beckert.com has some excellent references on needles. I use their titanium nitride coated needles as they are extremely durable and lower friction. They are branded GEBEDUR.

I run 138 thread on top, 92 on bottom, sometimes 138 maybe in bottom.