toxo

Swivel cutter

I can't believe that all you guys that have extolled the virtues of this swivel knife or that swivel knife, or this angle or that angle have absolutely nothing to say about this?

It might be ok for cutting out patterns. Doesn't look heavy enough for leather.

2 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

It might be ok for cutting out patterns. Doesn't look heavy enough for leather.

I was thinking more about how that design follows a line? And how deep does the initial cut have to be?

I didn't pursue it that far as it didn't look like anything I had a use for.

Duane Watts makes a swivel knife that the blade swivels.  Similar idea but it is for leather carving.  

I have an exacto type with a small swivel blade on the end and I didn't think much of it but I was wondering how much difference the shape of this one would make. If you watch the video, if it hasn't been doctored it does seem easy to use. Would it be the same if it were "leather size"?

On 6/13/2021 at 1:01 PM, toxo said:

I can't believe that all you guys that have extolled the virtues of this swivel knife or that swivel knife, or this angle or that angle have absolutely nothing to say about this?

i was interested till i saw that adult supervision was required lol. I work alone.  the design is nice but i think its just to lightweight for leather, says it wont cut human skin so buying it for cutting cow skin would be a gamble imo. now if it were metal and you could apply more controlled downward pressure like a regular swivel knife.

8 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i was interested till i saw that adult supervision was required lol. I work alone.  the design is nice but i think its just to lightweight for leather, says it wont cut human skin so buying it for cutting cow skin would be a gamble imo. now if it were metal and you could apply more controlled downward pressure like a regular swivel knife.

It wasn't that particular one that piqued my interest. It was the design. The extra length between the shank and the blade should mean more force at the blade for less effort. It also looks like you could see your line a lot more clearly than when leaning over your hand with a swivel knife.  Maybe someone could make something out of a cut down swivel knife to prove or disprove the concept.

On 6/18/2021 at 5:13 PM, toxo said:

It wasn't that particular one that piqued my interest. It was the design. The extra length between the shank and the blade should mean more force at the blade for less effort. It also looks like you could see your line a lot more clearly than when leaning over your hand with a swivel knife.  Maybe someone could make something out of a cut down swivel knife to prove or disprove the concept.

Its a great concept and wouldn't be hard to build if a guy have a metal lathe. I wonder if it would turn as well on leather as it does on paper, it would sure help those with arthritis or other problems im sure.