bigsig11010

Rolled edge on burnishing

Ive noticed that when I burnish veg tanned leather this project is i think 6 oz. With my burnishing tool Im creating a little rolled edge that I dont really like. Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong. Im using a little water burnishing stick then bees wax and canvas cloth. 

20210614_181833_copy_600x800.jpg

20210614_181636_copy_600x800_1.jpg

There are several different factors or a combination of factors.

What kind of temper does the leather have?  Where on the hide was the leather cut?  Is it belly, shoulder, butt, back..?  Are you using too much pressure?  Did you use an edge beveller?  Was it too wet?  Have you  tried using some saddle soap?  Gum Tragacanth, Tokenole or other slicking agents...  

My impression from the pictures is that the leather may be soft temper, not edged beveled and you are using too much pressure.  

I attached a thread from a long time ago.  If you are having trouble with burnishing your edges it is a great guide.  

Check this thread from 2009.  

2 hours ago, bland said:

My impression from the pictures is that the leather may be soft temper, not edged beveled and you are using too much pressure.

Yeah, what he said.

At what point does it roll?  You really don't need much pressure with water.  I use paraffin wax.  Bee's wax is too hard, while paraffin has some oil and it rubs on easier.