Dunluce

AliExpress Leather Splitter

Well I thought I would take a punt on one of the leather splitters (shown in the photo below) from AliExpress. Initially I was quite pleased with it. I was able to split some 10cm wide Alran goat leather from 1.2mm down to 0.6-0.7mm (for wallet pockets) and taper skived a belt end from 4mm down to 1.5mm by passing it through a coupe of times. The problem came when I wanted to split down a piece of 1.5mm Buttero (I was hoping to split this down for wallet covers). Try as I might I couldn’t get it to work properly. Every time it bites through the leather until it ends up cutting it in two.I seem to have tried Avery combination of pulling and taking a little off at a time but to no avail. 
Does anyone else use one of these and have this issue or know a way around it?

47DA840E-1C20-4CAB-B4F5-DEDBA5BA10EF.jpeg

Once you start the cut, when pulling the leather through you need to pull it downwards while holding the uncut end down also.  

6 hours ago, Rahere said:

Alibaba had forty colleagues. I guess the rest of the tale speaks for itself.

:16:

On 6/16/2021 at 6:26 PM, mike02130 said:

Once you start the cut, when pulling the leather through you need to pull it downwards while holding the uncut end down also.  

Tried evry dort of pull but still doesn't thin leather like  Buttero properly.  Softer like goatskin is fine!