AlizabethThomas

Fortuna model 10 skiver parts availability

I have a chance to buy a Fortuna model 10 skiver and was hoping to find out if I could get most parts for one, and where. I would like to know if skivers are anything like old Singer sewing machines in that the designs have been copied so closely that they have parts still being made as usable replicas, or if Fortuna is in business and still making parts compatible with older machines. This is kind of like older shoe repair and shoe making machinery;  there are few people who might know the answers. I like that it is one of the skivers that uses two motors, one driving the cutting edge and the other driving the material feed for consistent knife speed and better skiving performance. But since the seller doesn't know what parts it's missing, they'd better be readily available,  or I will need another matching parts machine.

Maybe a picture would help, Fortuna model 10 gives me no results?

It looks like a lot of parts are missing. Much like other machines, sourcing and buying a lot  of parts usually ends up costing more than buying an intact or or new one.  

From the picture looks like the whole bar with the feed roller is gone? You can buy these for the 801 type clones but the measurements could be different, If the feed from the back gear to the feed wheel is gone also then the clone ones may not fit but not 100% sure. That would depend on the axle diameter going through the bushing. A new one from fortuna cost about €250! ouch! Fortuna still are on the go and sell parts for their machines, i got some small parts from them a few years back, they were in Austria. but they are pretty expensive so maybe not worth buying new original parts from them if you are missing a lot?? At least over here you can find a abandoned skiver with all of its parts for about €3-400 if you look around. I would try to get a few more pictures to see what is and is not there at the back and underneath before jumping at it? If nothing else is missing, i would go for it. You could try asking LW member Danishman if he has any spare parts as he has been fixing a few of them up recently and may have something to spare.

Could you possibly take a photo from underneath. It is difficult to assess, what is missing.

Kind regards

Soren

Found a few pictures on the net, as i thought, the model number 10 did not ring a bell...they are here as the models C&G and there are possibly more, the newer ones are 50 XX and so on. The last two letters are for the options on the machine ,with drawer, with side cover, with vacuume, etc.

20606a_lg.jpeg.432c26fb96969bf1ca39358cbb2b4bec.jpeg20617a_lg.thumb.jpeg.96c77f0c30d531038f0c29441cb49208.jpeg20617c_lg.jpeg.e4b5953cbfc671f487e4482bdca07831.jpeg20617b_lg.thumb.jpeg.24db45fec41702430e71abdff0aab2bd.jpeg20606b_lg.jpeg.7d56d437e7fd59ff455bcb0e1f2660fa.jpeg20606c_lg.jpeg.f4ccef25be9085f3b19df46cc132359b.jpeg20606d_lg.jpeg.cd0adfbe36da7bd22177b48d150b56b2.jpeg

On 6/22/2021 at 2:57 PM, jimi said:

Found a few pictures on the net, as i thought, the model number 10 did not ring a bell...they are here as the models C&G and there are possibly more, the newer ones are 50 XX and so on. The last two letters are for the options on the machine ,with drawer, with side cover, with vacuume, etc.

20606a_lg.jpeg.432c26fb96969bf1ca39358cbb2b4bec.jpeg20617a_lg.thumb.jpeg.96c77f0c30d531038f0c29441cb49208.jpeg20617c_lg.jpeg.e4b5953cbfc671f487e4482bdca07831.jpeg20617b_lg.thumb.jpeg.24db45fec41702430e71abdff0aab2bd.jpeg20606b_lg.jpeg.7d56d437e7fd59ff455bcb0e1f2660fa.jpeg20606c_lg.jpeg.f4ccef25be9085f3b19df46cc132359b.jpeg20606d_lg.jpeg.cd0adfbe36da7bd22177b48d150b56b2.jpeg

any chance you have a service manual that goes with that? I'm trying to rebuild one right now and it would be nice to have some direction :-)

I have just purchased a model G fortuna  #16107 black skiver.really old(I will be getting a table , servo motor and foot pedal with rod ).(no vacuum).  It has no vacuum which is fine with me. I have a newer Fortuna service manual forType 50 S-A0 and 50 S -AG. The manual I have is not helping me very much. The machine seems complete except it does not have lever to raise and lower presser foot. I can look on the manual you shared on this site a few years ago and  try to match the parts numbers. I do have the parts # from  the newer catalog. I need the lever to raise and lower the presser foot.The machine came with about 20 presser feet(made in Italy) many duplicates. also a few guide bars. Can you help me? I  had a Fortuna Skiver many years ago ( From Hoffman company) and then I had a chinese copy about 20 years ago. I do not want another copy.  I bought this skiver because it is a fine machine . the parts are fine precision.  It looks like everything else is here, but I could be wrong.I took its apart I don't even know if this machine can  to clean it up and have laid out all the parts. Can you help? I would be so thrilled if you could. Please let me know. Thank you

Joy Liotta Horvath

bagstudio@aol.com

Hi does anyone know where to buy spare parts for this machine? I just got a model G but can’t find anything on it, since it’s over 100 years old..

There are no new spare parts for such old machines. All you can do is fit spare parts from Chinese clones (801, 747), after machining, or design and build them from scratch with a lathe and mill.
Some spare parts from clones like presser foot, bell knife, drive wheels (feed roller) may fit. Or finding an old machine and cannibalizing it.

Edited by xnikolaos