Mustangdave

Saddle making

I am looking to build a western saddle and have no idea how the pieces go together much less where to find the patterns for them. I have made military saddles (‘59 McClellan) along with all manner of tack, holsters and belts so I know how to cut, stitch etc.

Are there any resources out there? Patterns? Kits? 

Any suggestions are welcome.

Dave

Dusty Johnson has a set of book, video and patterns. The Stholman Encyclopedias of Saddle making is also an excellent resource.

Complete Saddlemaking Course: Book, DVD & Patterns PLUS Saddle Savvy Book at 50% | eBay

Edited by tsunkasapa

Ride a lot first before settling on things like rigging design and seat shape. In all analysis, think about a naked man on a naked horse and enhance that relationship. Then focus on execution and eye appeal

1 hour ago, oltoot said:

Ride a lot first before settling on things like rigging design and seat shape. In all analysis, think about a naked man on a naked horse and enhance that relationship. Then focus on execution and eye appeal

I have to smile. Round here, Charlotte Dujardin's home base rules the roost (she won Olympic Gold in 2012). Most riders are female. Repeat the exercise.