You don't need to go buy anything for the handle , I just cut some thin branch's off some bush growing around my house. Any tree branch will do. :thumbsup::whatdoyouthink:

My scream of horror (freaking $ 45!!!) just bothered my dog...

Still haven't made a better version because I've decided to first transform part of my wool workshop into a proper leather workshop with a decent cutting table.

@Bert03241 As the person who opened this thread I'd like to point out that I'm happy about the drift. After all, I asked about the situation in Northern Ireland...

I am also very happy that I could inspire people to build better fly swatters - less chemistry, fewer flies is win-win!

4 hours ago, Klara said:

My scream of horror (freaking $ 45!!!) just bothered my dog...

Still haven't made a better version because I've decided to first transform part of my wool workshop into a proper leather workshop with a decent cutting table.

@Bert03241 As the person who opened this thread I'd like to point out that I'm happy about the drift. After all, I asked about the situation in Northern Ireland...

I am also very happy that I could inspire people to build better fly swatters - less chemistry, fewer flies is win-win!

a more affordable version lol.    https://www.lehmans.com/product/leather-fly-swatter/#

On 6/20/2021 at 1:54 PM, tsunkasapa said:

Washington state is the "Evergreen State". But that only applies to the strip between the Cascades and the Pacific. 2/3 of the state is desert. Those that live on the west side of the mountains are know by the rest of us as "Wetsiders". They flee the rainy, wet side where they live, to play over here. They are a blight like locusts. They make life a living hell for us and we hate them. We wish they would all die and leave us in peace. THAT is a "Wetsider".

It's not the natives so much as the Californians that migrate up here.  They pretty much ruin everything they touch and are the real locusts. The thing I don't get is if California is so great why didn't they stay there instead of bringing everything that's wrong with California here with them?  40 years ago the wetside was a pretty nice place to live.  If the east side ever secedes from the rest of Washington (you would be right to) I'm moving there.

I'm in for a flyswatter.

Rodney

11 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

It's not the natives so much as the Californians that migrate up here.  They pretty much ruin everything they touch and are the real locusts. The thing I don't get is if California is so great why didn't they stay there instead of bringing everything that's wrong with California here with them?  40 years ago the wetside was a pretty nice place to live.  If the east side ever secedes from the rest of Washington (you would be right to) I'm moving there.

I'm in for a flyswatter.

Rodney

the coloradians do that here, like locust to our lakes and mountains, one bunch came to our local lake two years ago and raised so much hell with their boats and four wheelers and left so much trash the landowner shut down the access to it for everyone. They made one heck of a video and posted to youtube showing all the crap they did.  Lets see your swatter friend!

I haven't started it.  It's 104* right now with more of the same for tomorrow.  My shop is climate controlled.  The climate controls how hot or cold it is inside.  Too hot already and summer is just starting.

I hereby present my Buzzy Swatter Mk.1

Buzzy Whacker Mk.1, 01LWs.jpg

over all length is 16 inches

A thong glued into the natural hole of the bamboo and a piece of thick chrome tan upholstery leather on as a grip

Buzzy Whacker Mk.1, 02LWs.jpg

The Whacker is two thicknesses of a leather that has some sort of reptile skin pressed into it. The bamboo shaft is split and grips the Whacker like jaws, assisted by contact glue. Whacker is 2.75 inches wide by 4.25 inches long

Buzzy Whacker Mk.1, 03LWs.jpg

I nearly had a tester victim today. A buzzy came through my window, saw what I was making and exited pdq

On 6/21/2021 at 3:17 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

. . .

And I'm not going out to buy some bamboo stakes just so I can make a flyswatter.

I did. The piece I had was no good. The packs in the gardening centre were £4.99 for ten but they were very poor. I bought a children's guppy fishing net with a bamboo handle for £1

Heres one i made earlier sorry could not resist

flyswat.thumb.jpg.d050c5c880c71399fbb1a81601db70d4.jpg

1 hour ago, fredk said:

I did. The piece I had was no good. The packs in the gardening centre were £4.99 for ten but they were very poor. I bought a children's guppy fishing net with a bamboo handle for £1

lol i went down to buy some and they were unmarked and the kid there couldn't find the price so i got mine for free!!!  That's a fine build! 

34 minutes ago, jcuk said:

Heres one i made earlier sorry could not resist

flyswat.thumb.jpg.d050c5c880c71399fbb1a81601db70d4.jpg

made me spit out my coffee! :rofl: now that's funny.

Funny guy, jcuk!

Reminds me of the joke about a woman who asked if her daughter had a newspaper. The daughter gave her a lecture about how no one reads newspapers anymore, and handed her her cell phone instead.

Then the daughter got her nose all out of joint when her mom wrecked the cell phone, using it to swat a fly...:lol:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I'm tempted to say "Newbies!" You mean you've not made a flyswat before? (Sorry, not meaning to insult anyone.) Okay, we're not so lucky to all live in a locale with few flying pests, although I know that we'd be in deep ecological sh*t if there were not any flies around - litterally. Or so the ecologists tell us.

A wooden handle is all okay, byt the go-to material for the handle in my neck of the woods is stiff 3 or 4 mm thick steel wire... Best design mod I've done lately is to cut the bottom 3 or 3 cm as frills. 

Flyswat.thumb.jpeg.9e23ed4a364f26165ec9251d55d335bd.jpeg

3 hours ago, Riem said:

I'm tempted to say "Newbies!" You mean you've not made a flyswat before? (Sorry, not meaning to insult anyone.) Okay, we're not so lucky to all live in a locale with few flying pests, although I know that we'd be in deep ecological sh*t if there were not any flies around - litterally. Or so the ecologists tell us.

A wooden handle is all okay, byt the go-to material for the handle in my neck of the woods is stiff 3 or 4 mm thick steel wire... Best design mod I've done lately is to cut the bottom 3 or 3 cm as frills. 

Flyswat.thumb.jpeg.9e23ed4a364f26165ec9251d55d335bd.jpeg

Those are great yea I'm a noob lol.

My late wife was Welsh, Welsh her official mother tongue (all to do with politics - it allowed the Principality to claim extra bonus points to have the language officially recognised in the International Civil Service). Anyway, she'd unnoticed turned it into a fly squatter. Which makes more sense than going around clobbering the studious.

As it's Wimbledon Weekend, and the flying ants supposedly swarming, I'd like to widen the question as to hole-punching. In theory, having a solid mass simply builds up a wall of air ahead of it allowing the things to blast away to the side. In theory. In practice, do we have different schools as regards technique, the fast and furious vs the zen zappers, for example, bringing instant karma to the target?

Anything to miss the bloody soccer. Actually, you know how a kind of calm settles over the world during an eclipse? It was much like that Wednesday, you could hear birds sing, no traffic. Until a roar came from the pub, which is a mile away. I live on Tottenham turf, so they were clearly able to raise kane. You have hurricanes in the US, they tell je they have Harry Kanr here. All I know is hurricanes soon disappear.

The kind of thing which gets my goat is a headline like this, "https://www.enfieldindependent.co.uk/news/19426699.beers-fly-euro-2020-england-denmark-game/",  headlined as "Experts predict more than 350,000 pints will be thrown during the England match." Is there a University Doctorate in Pint chucking? Studious papers on optimal wind dispersion? Magnificent statues to someone like Fred Lanchester, a forerunner in aerodynamics? I'm a quarter Belgian, I was weaned on Belgian beer, so I'm not at all surprised, the best think to do with Burton Bathwater.  One of my grewatest disappointments in life, to hear Stella was launching in the UK, with my taste buds primed for something crisp, another mouthful of pee. In fact, both threads share a common theme, marketing hogwash.

Edited by Rahere

As for the advantage of holes vs. no holes, I've found rolled up newspapers and magazines seem to work just as well as the fly swatters I bought at the store, with all the holes in the business end of them. 

Their one disadvantage is they never seem to be around when I need them, but a magazine or even a piece of mail still in its envelope is read to grab on my desk, and often gets the job done.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I've used and made both types - with or without holes - and can honestly say I've not noticed a difference between the effectiveness of the types. There are plenty of people who swear by the "hole-y" ones, and adding the holes will certainly not let a fly deserving of a swat escape.. .

There appears to be end to little boys playing with their balls - I hear it's National Doughnut Week. I was complaining about Experts Beer Tossers earlier. Is there a Government Department for Silly Celebrations? Or does it all fall under the Department for Culture Media and Sport? C'mon Australia, your reputation for Everage behaviour's at risk.

It sounded like fun, so I joined in late as usual

017.JPG.2b39ca6632bf17a306e220b27d92eeb4.JPG

I sure hope that you don't have that many - or so big - bloodsuckers around! ;)

19 hours ago, Frodo said:

Flies of the world, you're serving notice, big time! We're coming for ya, all over... <Grin> :drum:

12 hours ago, Klara said:

Ya bet... Heard the one about the guy lying in the rushes overhearing two mozzies yabber. One mozzie says to his mate: "Shall we suck him dry right here or fly him back to the nest?" So mozzie two says: "I say we suck him dry right here. If we fly him home, the big 'uns will bully us again and take him for themselves..." Now, looks like @Frodo whacked one of the small 'uns there... :rolleyes2:

:bike:

19 hours ago, Frodo said:

017.JPG.2b39ca6632bf17a306e220b27d92eeb4.JPG

Now thats a swatter!!! lol

15 hours ago, Klara said:

When they get that big I use the 410.