Aw man, poor critter. Black and Yellow Garden spider/  orbweave spider.  I leave them alone, they take out the annoying ones I don't like.  :)  Plus they have cool webs.

Quite the swatter, nonetheless!

YinTx

I'd rather live with the spiders than the flies. The same with rattlesnakes, better them than mice.

Has any one seen a fly 'play dead' ?

Fly comes near me, I took a swipe at it and missed. Fly drops into the desk on its back. As I move my hand away fly turns over onto its legs, starts to fly again, I start to take a swipe at it and it drops to the desk on its back again. I move my hand away and fly turns over and takes a running leap into the air and gets away

Durndest thing I've ever seen, well,  maybe except for some drunk honey bees

And, no, I've not been at the falling-down water

Edited by fredk

Fredk

maybe you just concussed it?

No, but I'm starting to believe they are immortal (Highlander-style): Unless you cut off the head (or destroy it with a good wack), they rise again...

15 hours ago, fredk said:

, I start to take a swipe at it and it drops to the desk on its back again

Maybe the fly is a reincarnated dog, it thought you wanted it to roll over and play dead.

15 hours ago, fredk said:

Durndest thing I've ever seen, well,  maybe except for some drunk honey bees

And, no, I've not been at the falling-down water

I'm not convinced the bees were the only ones partaking here....  :crazy:   :cheers:

YinTx

Edited by YinTx

hahahha, yes, I agree with you. This is the best that people could think of to combat harmful and annoying flies. I remember my grandfather said: "This is not your worktime, this is a fly swatter with a leather tip, not a single fly will fly away from me."

Edited by Fuzz321

When I was in the  Philippines the flies were very bad. I had a 1 gallon glass jar on the table with sugar water inside of it.

The jar is deep enough so you can put the lid on it before they fly out. 

We also had re-up bull frogs who roamed around eating flies. 

How is it a fly can find its way into room thru a 1/4 inch hole but can't find its way out thru a door hole 6ft by 3 ft?

Actually I'm pretty sure they don't need a quarter inch! But didn't you lament the lack of targets to test your swatter? Be careful what you wish for...

4 hours ago, Klara said:

. . . But didn't you lament the lack of targets to test your swatter? Be careful what you wish for...

:lol:,   but one fly a plague does not make. By the time I got my swatter it had got trapped on the sticky fly-paper

That's what the sticky flypaper looks like in my living room. And there's another long one under the desk lamp. Do you feel better now?

IMG_20210916_223323.jpg

yaaay! I can cut the first notch on my eco-friendly fly eliminator.

I got one real good this evening. I have the blud-lust now, just need more victims

Congrats!

@Klara  Two words,  ....'it works' . 

@jcuk We all love you !!!!!  :rofl:  Nearly peed my undies !! The simplicity in the design is outstanding . Are you going to copyright the design? 

@Frodo A ' before and after' ?? 

I do make and sell fly swats using leather,  but I'll be keeping my simple affordable  design a tad quiet ...sorry .   :)

@billybopp that chart missed out the ' reddies' , red back spiders. The female makes you sick when bitten, but the male just makes you sting ....and curse .... like billy'o !!!!!!

@fredk  What do you call a fly with no wings?  A walk .

I've had flies on a leash. True . Funniest thing I've ever seen  :rofl:  I'll explain  how its done later  :crazy:

HS

Edited by Handstitched

7 hours ago, Handstitched said:

We all love you !!!!!  :rofl:  Nearly peed my undies !! The simplicity in the design is outstanding . Are you going to copyright the design? 

Unfortunately its already been copied in the far East they can make it a lot cheaper.

JCUK 

@jcuk I guess the weekend edition works better. 

16 hours ago, Handstitched said:

@jcuk I guess the weekend edition works better. 

Especially the free weekend colour supplement

I worked at a newspaper once , saw a bloke lose his fingers in a guillotine making the  colour TV guides.

Off topic, ..........and totally  gross....and I went a funny colour and didn't feel very well :wacko::blush:

HS

Very nice details, clean work and superb engineering...classical look...sort of old school!!

Should be effective as described!??

I know this is an old thread and I am late for the party but here is my fly swatter B)

Walnut handle , 8/9 oz leather cut basket weave ( it looks a little more like basket weave  in person ) and is heavy enough to swat horseflies or hornets :lol:

20220727_102445.jpg

20220727_102453.jpg

Beautiful! A fly should feel honoured to be swatted by that...

Reviving an old thread - it's summer here and the flies (and mozzies) are out in full force. 

On 7/28/2022 at 8:53 AM, Klara said:

Beautiful! A fly should feel honoured to be swatted by that...

Speaking about flies being honoured to receive a whack from a deluxe swatter... Two recent ones, both of the hole-y type. 

IMG_20230125_183816_006.thumb.jpg.b9b36116eb5fd31bb99a6820ac0d2be1.jpg