Well only one more birthday to go this year lol. A sketch book cover and pencil set for my number three daughter. I airbrushed it black then went over it lightly with some blue, green , and purple iridescent paint. Inside is chocolate pig suede. 

book1.JPG

book2.JPG

book3.JPG

Nice work.  Never looked into a airbrush system.  I have converted a bedroom in our house into my shop.  Would I have to airbrush in another area?  What does a system cost to do that?  

3 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

Nice work.  Never looked into a airbrush system.  I have converted a bedroom in our house into my shop.  Would I have to airbrush in another area?  What does a system cost to do that?  

Thanks! i airbrush in my room, I dont do a great lot of work though so its not a real problem, some folk make an airbrush station with a ventilation system, ive seen them made out of cardboard and a computer fan lol.  I have a basic paashe air brush and a harbor freight compressor. The compressor about $150 the air brush about $50 of course you can go higher or lower on both.

Looks well. I bet those colours really show better in person than any photo can show

9 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

. . .  I have converted a bedroom in our house into my shop.  Would I have to airbrush in another area?  What does a system cost to do that?  

Depends just how far ya wanna go. A cheap airbrush can be bought from the likes of Harbor-wotsit for as little as about $15. But you need a compressor, thats more expensive

I use a carboard box as my spray-box chamber in my spare room. I just change to box when it needs changing. I don't get too much over-spay but in case I do I just cover anything in about 2 ft range with old rags

11 minutes ago, fredk said:

Looks well. I bet those colours really show better in person than any photo can show

Depends just how far ya wanna go. A cheap airbrush can be bought from the likes of Harbor-wotsit for as little as about $15. But you need a compressor, thats more expensive

I use a carboard box as my spray-box chamber in my spare room. I just change to box when it needs changing. I don't get too much over-spay but in case I do I just cover anything in about 2 ft range with old rags

thanks yes they do especially in the sunlight. I should have taken it outside but its still a secret lol.

15 hours ago, fredk said:

Thanks for the input guys.  I will have to check into it.  Watch some Youtube vids.  I have a compressor already.  I will do some investigating.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

Thanks for the input guys.  I will have to check into it.  Watch some Youtube vids.  I have a compressor already.  I will do some investigating.  Thanks!

it sure puts down the dye nice and even you wont be disappointed at all. If you have the compressor you are over half way there. One thing i did learn from this site is to use low pressure i use about 5 /10 lbs now and its amazing.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

it sure puts down the dye nice and even you wont be disappointed at all. If you have the compressor you are over half way there. One thing i did learn from this site is to use low pressure i use about 5 /10 lbs now and its amazing.

HF is right around the corner.  May have to spring for $30 or so to pick one up.  How is the clean up of the gun, etc.  Don't really have a "shop" sink.  Would have to use the bathroom or kitchen sink.  Mama would not be happy with that if it stained the sinks.  :-)

Hey @chuck123wapati  now that is some really good work and a fun project.  I, too, need to start investigating an airbrush system.  But I have the same problem with the clean up.  Momma definitely won't be happy about me using a bathroom sink for cleanups.

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

. . .  How is the clean up of the gun, etc.  Don't really have a "shop" sink.  Would have to use the bathroom or kitchen sink.  Mama would not be happy with that if it stained the sinks. 

46 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

. . .   I, too, need to start investigating an airbrush system.  But I have the same problem with the clean up.  Momma definitely won't be happy about me using a bathroom sink for cleanups.

Buy a plastic basin. During a session, for a change in colour just a rinse thru with alcohol sprayed through works for me. A full strip down and cleaning after the session is over. I've never taken the airbrush to a sink - too much chance of loosing the small parts down the drain hole. I just dismantle and clean over a small ex-food tray dish.

5 minutes ago, fredk said:

Buy a plastic basin. During a session, for a change in colour just a rinse thru with alcohol sprayed through works for me. A full strip down and cleaning after the session is over. I've never taken the airbrush to a sink - too much chance of loosing the small parts down the drain hole. I just dismantle and clean over a small ex-food tray dish.

Excellent idea, excellent points.   Thank you!

39 minutes ago, fredk said:

Well....guess it's time to invest in some YT videos on this new endeavor.  Thanks for your responses!  

1 hour ago, JayEhl said:

Hey @chuck123wapati  now that is some really good work and a fun project.  I, too, need to start investigating an airbrush system.  But I have the same problem with the clean up.  Momma definitely won't be happy about me using a bathroom sink for cleanups.

Thanks! i use a 5 gallon bucket called my garbage can, and some homemade cleaner, found the recipe online, its not  a big deal to clean at all some folks here buy a few of the cheap airbrushes and use them for specific stuff like dyes or finishes.

2 hours ago, PastorBob said:

HF is right around the corner.  May have to spring for $30 or so to pick one up.  How is the clean up of the gun, etc.  Don't really have a "shop" sink.  Would have to use the bathroom or kitchen sink.  Mama would not be happy with that if it stained the sinks.  :-)

the cleaner is equal parts water, alcohol, and window cleaner/ windex  make sure the window cleaner has no ammonia.  after painting wipe out your paint cup best as you can, then add a bit of cleaner and hold you r finger over the  spray nozzle and shoot the gun, it will bubble back through the paint cup and clean it then dump that refill and spray it through till clean. it may take a few times but only uses an oz or so.

thanks Chuck!!

Wow, easier than I thought!  thanks @chuck123wapati

Nice clean work, chuck123wapati. The airbrushed colours are very subtle. I am going to have to look into airbrushing at some point too.

45 minutes ago, spacedog said:

Nice clean work, chuck123wapati. The airbrushed colours are very subtle. I am going to have to look into airbrushing at some point too.

thanks yea i just wanted a hint of iridescent look to it, i think it really set it off. That was a five hug project lol the daughter loved it.