Mildthing

Acrylic over black-dyed veg tanned leather

So I’ve seen this question asked a few times but not with the specifics I’m looking for. Maybe someone who does fire shields/motorcycle seats ? 

I’ve been working on projects that are black background with white or colored images painted on. Some are decorative just meant to be art and some need a bit durability for use (like coasters or a belt). I am using veg tanned leather that I tool or stamp with my design first and then am dying the whole thing black with Angelus leather dye. 

I buff once the dye is dry and then am painting the tooled image with Angelus acrylics and airbrushing resolene once finished. The problem I’m running into is all color paints are drying streaky, and white (which is the color I’m using in the largest spaces of course) especially is a pain because its coming out a bit yellow from the black being underneath. I’m also afraid the paints going to flake off with use regardless of color. 

1. Should I NOT be dying the whole thing black first and instead dying around the image so that I’m painting on the raw leather ? Or am I okay to keep dying everything black first, but should be coating with a layer of something after dye, before I start painting ? Example dye, resolene, paint, resolene again ? 

2. And lastly, when I’m all done paint how should I seal for durability before I accidentally make something for someone where the paint just flakes off a few months down the road ? 

Sorry for the length, I just really wanted to be thorough to get answers since I cannot find what I’m looking for and I’m at a bit of a confidence standstill as I do not want to make someone an unattractive or faulty project.

Please lay out the steps for me if I’m missing something !

Edited by Mildthing

I make custom cigar cutter cases that get worn daily that are dyed black with Fiebing’s Pro and some are accented with Angelus acrylic paints. I used to get the streaks until I started applying multiple thin coats to build up the color and finish with resolene. I haven’t had a problem with chipping. 

I also airbrush various products with custom colors instead of the limited hues I get with dyes and doing multiple light coats definitely works better than a thicker coat. Same goes for painting the edges with Angelus paints…. multiple light coats with sanding in between and top off with  an acrylic finish.

pics please, especially of the cigar cutter cases.  I have a couple of cutters that could use covers.

2 hours ago, PastorBob said:

pics please, especially of the cigar cutter cases.  I have a couple of cutters that could use covers.

IG: NikosLeather / site: NikosLeather.com

47 minutes ago, Nikos69 said:

IG: NikosLeather / site: NikosLeather.com

nice looking site.  Also noticed you have items listed on Etsy.  which of the two avenues are providing you with the most sales?  just curious.  Been kicking the idea around of a website.  For the number of items I am currently able to make, I don't know if it justifies the monthly expense of my own shopify site.  I would be curious to hear your response.

35 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

nice looking site.  Also noticed you have items listed on Etsy.  which of the two avenues are providing you with the most sales?  just curious.  Been kicking the idea around of a website.  For the number of items I am currently able to make, I don't know if it justifies the monthly expense of my own shopify site.  I would be curious to hear your response.

Etsy brings in the most sales and that's because my Shopify site is only a couple months old. Shopify has brought in a handful of sales on its own but I've been using it more to sell custom requested items to people on Instagram and avoid the Etsy fees. Etsy has its good and bad points but I'm frustrated with their BS policies which hurts the true artisans and helps the vendors that sell mass produced items as "handmade". 

1 hour ago, Nikos69 said:

Etsy brings in the most sales and that's because my Shopify site is only a couple months old. Shopify has brought in a handful of sales on its own but I've been using it more to sell custom requested items to people on Instagram and avoid the Etsy fees. Etsy has its good and bad points but I'm frustrated with their BS policies which hurts the true artisans and helps the vendors that sell mass produced items as "handmade". 

I completely agree with you on BS policies.  I also don't want to have a lot of inventory sitting around either (which I feel would be needed with a site due to the "fast food" mentality of some consumers.)

7 hours ago, PastorBob said:

I completely agree with you on BS policies.  I also don't want to have a lot of inventory sitting around either (which I feel would be needed with a site due to the "fast food" mentality of some consumers.)

People haven't learned that you only get 2 out of 3, fast, pretty, cheap. There's nothing wrong with teaching the Veruca Salts of the world some patience. Send them the parts and tell them to make it themselves, it's the craftsmanship which takes the time.