lalakis

what went wrong with finishing a leather belt?

Hello 

i had made a belt for a customer 5 months ago , veg tanned  leather dyed with fiebings green dye ( not oil pro dye ) and it was finished with fiebings mink oil in paste form and on top of that 3 layers of resolene.

Fast forward 5 months to today  i got an email saying that all color was gone ,  color did not transfer onto this clothes but it just disappeared, he sent me a picture and the belt looks like it was never dyed. First time i see this .

what went wrong ?

1 hour ago, Rahere said:

Sun-bleached, most likely. 

i was under the impression that beeswax among all other stuff in mink oil protect against sun bleached 

It might protect it here in the UK, but it's melting point is between 60-67° C and then it'll disappear into the leather. You'd be surprised how hot a sunny patio, or window-ledge, or car can get. Nor, for that matter, is it opaque (I have a box of wired frame bases in the kitchen right now).

Edited by Rahere

23 hours ago, lalakis said:

so what else should i have used to protect the dye from "Evaporating " 

Maybe you should give the pro version a try. According to their website, "Fiebing’s Pro Dye is our premium leather dye that is more color fast, offers more vivid colors and is less likely to fade over time in sunlight.  You choose which dye is right for your project."