Sign in to follow this  
Annelie

Singer 29K171

Looking for some help please.

I have bought an old Singer 29K171 and is busy taking it apart and cleaning it. Replacing parts and bringing it back to life. But I have hit a snag.

How do I remove the pin which holds the shuttle driving cam gear. 

All parts of the machine is badly funked up. Wd40 has helped and all other pins slipped out. But this one is stuck and I am not sure if it is meant to release to one side only.

24 minutes ago, Annelie said:

Looking for some help please.

I have bought an old Singer 29K171 and is busy taking it apart and cleaning it. Replacing parts and bringing it back to life. But I have hit a snag.

How do I remove the pin which holds the shuttle driving cam gear. 

All parts of the machine is badly funked up. Wd40 has helped and all other pins slipped out. But this one is stuck and I am not sure if it is meant to release to one side only.

16246263056361713121492464647751.jpg

Its a tapered pin it only goes out one - you have to figure which way. If it was me I would leave it where it is. I would neither remove the top shaft nor the cams on the top shaft. Just wash out the gunk with brushes and kerosene or paint thinner or similar.

Edited by Constabulary

Constabulary is right,it is best NOT to take it apart,just clean it the best you can ,that dirt that's left won't hurt anything.The problem is many times when people take these apart,they end up either loosing or breaking parts & then not getting them back together properly.

Thank you for the help.

May I also request where to buy parts online?