Sign in to follow this  
ScottEnglish

Poor quality leather?

Hello.

I recently bought a chrome tanned leather side from a well known English tannery. The flesh side is dry and the grain side lacks the wax that is usually present. There was also a bird feather and tiny amount of bird poop on it! I think they may have sent me something past its best. What do folk think? Also, the neck looks to be present on the side. Is this useable?

This is not the first time that I have received dry leather from a supplier. A few months ago I bought a shoulder of vegetable tanned leather that is very dry and stiff. Not the same supplier.

Many thanks.

Scott

It sounds like they sold you a piece they found in the loft. If it was me I'd send it back as unsuitable

Some pictures please and are you going to name the names, as this may help people to steer clear of these places if they don't accept it as a return or refund you.

Hope this helps 

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

5 hours ago, ScottEnglish said:

This is not the first time that I have received dry leather from a supplier. A few months ago I bought a shoulder of vegetable tanned leather that is very dry and stiff. Not the same supplier.

I don't know how the shutdowns have affected the tanneries but if it is like a lot of businesses they maybe running low on quality inventory and hoping for customers just to accept anything. I would take some photo's of the problem leathers and email them to the suppliers. I would give them a reasonable amount of time to call / email you to help resolve the problem but I wouldn't accept grade 4- when you expect / pay for grade 1.

kgg

I agree wholeheartedly. You paid with your hard earned money in good faith. You should not have to accept , subpar service. This should never been shipped to a customer! 

I hope they correct their stupidity. Let us know  how it goes, good luck and have a great day!