Dwolf01

Thread Fraying sewing Kodiak

First, thank you ALL! I have started making, and even selling, small leather goods in large part because you all take time to help one another out! Grateful for all of you and you expertise! 

I have been trying to figure out what my thread is fraying…here is my situation:

using a consew p1206rb, size 19 needle, sz 92 cowboy brand thread (shout of to Bob in Toledo ;)), sewing two layers of 4-5 oz kodiak leather. 

So far I have…

-rethread top and bobbin several times, tried new bobbin, changed needles, took smooth sanding cloth to the bobbin hook, adjusted the tension(tried sewing at about ever tension)…still struggling. Need to fresh ideas! Do I need to use heavier thread? I like the look of the thinner thread. Advice welcomed! Thanks in advance!!!

35 minutes ago, Dwolf01 said:

rethread top and bobbin several times, tried new bobbin, changed needles, took smooth sanding cloth to the bobbin hook, adjusted the tension(tried sewing at about ever tension)…still struggling.

A couple of photo's of how you have your machine is threaded from the thread spool to the needle may help in identifying your problem. I think the needle size you are using (#19) is probably the cause of your fraying where the needle isn't creating a hole big enough so the thread is getting ever so slightly caught and not making the correct size loop for the hook to properly catch. I would recommend moving up to a size 22. I am assuming you are using a 135 X 16 needle meant for leather not a 135 X 17 Multi-Purpose Needle.

kgg

I would suggest a size 20 needle 

0244E413-E005-4C4F-A718-825FC479D055.jpeg

1F3E51CF-44C1-48B4-A91C-94F72FF393B5.jpeg

Edited by Dwolf01

If you check your manual the needles you should be using are DP x 17 (135 x 17) for fabric. What you have are DP x 35S (134-35 S) which are not the correct needles for your machine.

kgg

Thank you!!! That would explain a lot!! I am sewing leather so should I still get the dp x17 (135x17)? 

Just now, Dwolf01 said:

Thank you!!! That would explain a lot!! I am sewing leather so should I still get the dp x17 (135x17)? 

No, for leather get DP X 16 (135 x 16) in what ever size you need for your size of thread and get a few one size up for tough thick leather.

kgg

THANK YOU! ordering some now! Do you recommend titanium? 

16 minutes ago, Dwolf01 said:

Do you recommend titanium?

I have not used them myself but they are supposed to better then your regular needles. I do recommend you check out Wawak (www.wawak.com/Sewing/Needles/Industrial-Machine/) for your needles as they usually have really good prices.

kgg

Going up one needle size has helped me numerous times. I normally sew heavier leather and use A Cobra Class 4 machine but when I have had issues with fraying or stitch skipping when sewing some pieces a larger needle generally does the trick.

Thank you both for your help! I ordered through wakwak. I don’t know what I would do without leatherworker.net! 

The titanium nitride coated needles run cooler and 5 to 10 times longer than standard finish needles. Groz-Beckert labels them GEBEDUR.

3 hours ago, Dwolf01 said:

Thank you both for your help! I ordered through Wawak. I don’t know what I would do without leatherworker.net! 

Did you also order their double sided leather tape? They stock it in 4 widths, all in 60 yard lengths.

Got my dp x 16 needles sizes 18, 20, 21 worked like a charm!!!! (They didn’t have 19). When I had to add another layer or two I just went up to the sz 21. 

Wizcraft, I will try the tape as well. So far I have been sewing without glue or tacking. As things get more complicated I will need to. Thank you for the recommendation!

Seriously, I can not thank you all enough for your help and support as I am just starting off in this hobby and as you all know there is a A LOT to leant. You are all fantastic!!!!!!!