Howdy, I'm new to leather working. I've been doing it for close to two years now. I've been wanting to build myself a pair of all leather boots. I have no idea where to start. All the books I've searched online have mixed reviews and I want to make sure I get the right kind of leather for the soles. I have no cobbler specific tools but shoot it doesn't matter, if I need it, I'll get it. I've just been yearning to push my skills to another level and finally make something for myself. Thanks all.

Thank you, one of the things I am interested in trying is shoes.

Maybe https://laughingcrowe.com/ has what you are looking for. 

On 6/28/2021 at 7:27 PM, Ray34 said:

Howdy, I'm new to leather working. I've been doing it for close to two years now. I've been wanting to build myself a pair of all leather boots. I have no idea where to start. All the books I've searched online have mixed reviews and I want to make sure I get the right kind of leather for the soles. I have no cobbler specific tools but shoot it doesn't matter, if I need it, I'll get it. I've just been yearning to push my skills to another level and finally make something for myself. Thanks all.

I was at Springfield Leather Co. recently and they had some thick leather that looked to be perfect for soles.  They also bought out some stock from a boot/shoe company awhile back and I've seen them selling pre-cut leather soles.  You might phone them and ask.  Don't just go to their website, call them.  They are friendly folks.

For any bootmaking you definitely want to use soling leather and not just thick vegetable-tanned leather.  There is a huge difference.

Check out TheHCC.org, then under Resources check out the Guild Library.  They have downloadable free books in PDF form that will tell you everything you need to know about making shoes/boots.

Be aware that bootmaking is the fine woodworking equivalent in the leather world.  It is very, very complicated to make shoes or boots that look good and also function as needed.  You will need to buy lasts.

If you want to give it a go, then check out Andrew Wrigley's video series "How to Make Shoes" on Youtube.  Even though he isn't making a pair of boots, it gives an idea of what is involved.

If you want to learn to make cowboy-type boots then check out anything you can find from DW Frommer.  He runs thehcc.org.  He uses no machines and is a big of an oddball, but he really knows his stuff.  Expect a pair of basic boots made by him to cost $1800+ and to take almost two years.

There's a guy on this site KenJWan that makes awesome boots. I would try and get some advice from him.