WoodCarverJoel

New to leather

I am new to leather work.   I am still learning and gathering some tools.   Got this on ebay the other day.

7af2216bafcb45bc.png

Also picked up a stitching pony.  I got the larger one coming.  I loved how adjustable it is.  

7a0c0c45ea8bd51c.png

Also got a cheap cobbler sewing machine.    

b3ad45b0ffc80e92.png

Have fun with the sewing machine.  I could have sold you mine.  I have had no luck with it AT ALL.  Sometimes, you get what you pay for.  In this case it's true.  Saving for a real one now.  Or may just keep hand stitching.

Edited by PastorBob

3 hours ago, WoodCarverJoel said:

I am new to leather work.   I am still learning and gathering some tools.   Got this on ebay the other day.

7af2216bafcb45bc.png

Also picked up a stitching pony.  I got the larger one coming.  I loved how adjustable it is.  

A bunch of those metal tools on the left seem to be tools used for classic Western floral styles (veiners, camouflagers, etc.) Are you interested in learning that style of leather tooling? If so, you can find a LOT of expertise on this message board to help you learn those skills. 
There appears to be one three pronged Tandy "diamond" stitching chisel there. If you want to learn hand stitching, that's okay for learning and practicing, but it leaves BIG holes in leather, which might not be what you want in some projects. So you will likely be adding some other sort of pricking iron or stitching chisel set to your tool set. (If you want to learn the differences between those tools, and the variations between various manufacturers, YouTube will help you a lot.)
Your swivel knife there will probably need sharpening and stropping. You may also find that it doesn't fit well in your hand, but this one is non-adjustable in height, like other models are. You may find you'll need another after trying this one out.
What are those 4 tools on the far right? A couple seem to be only handles with no tools.

A stitching pony is an excellent help for quality hand stitching. 

Edited by DJole

I have low expectations.  I've seen few videos were people have made little improvements like polishing some of the part that contact each other helped.    For the low cost I thought it would be worth a shot.    Also picked up a stitching pony.  ;) 

3 hours ago, WoodCarverJoel said:

b3ad45b0ffc80e92.png

There are LOTS of discussions about these Chinese cobbler machines on this forum, usually from people who bought one and then realize that they can't get it to work well, and ask for help.

4 hours ago, WoodCarverJoel said:

These are true tinkers paradise machines. Basic, rough as a gad, cheap, one arm bandit but can get the job done. There is a FB group dedicated to their use and modification which you may find helpful. The needle can be changed to a standard industrial needle system of 135 X 16 for leather or 135 X 17 for fabric really easily. Changing the needle system to either 135 X 16 or 17 will give you better quality options for both the needle and thread size selection.

kgg

Edited by kgg
missing word

3 minutes ago, DJole said:

A bunch of those metal tools on the left seem to be tools used for classic Western floral styles (veiners, camouflagers, etc.) Are you interested in learning that style of leather tooling? If so, you can find a LOT of expertise on this message board to help you learn those skills. 
There appears to be one three pronged Tandy "diamond" stitching chisel there. If you want to learn hand stitching, that's okay for learning and practicing, but it leaves BIG holes in leather, which might not be what you want in some projects. So you will likely be adding some other sort of pricking iron or stitching chisel set to your tool set. (If you want to learn the differences between those tools, and the variations between various manufacturers, YouTube will help you a lot.)
Your swivel knife there will probably need sharpening and stropping. You may also find that it doesn't fit well in your hand, but this one is non-adjustable in height, like other models are. You may find you'll need another after trying this one out.
What are those 4 tools on the far right? A couple seem to be only handles with no tools.

Thanks for the great input on the tools.   I picked up this book to help learning about the different tools.    I know I like to wood carve so some carving  and pyrography I will looking at including in my work.    

Amazon.com: Tandy Leather Leathercraft Tools Book 61960-00

8 minutes ago, kgg said:

These are true tinkers paradise machines. Basic, rough as a gad, cheap, one arm bandit but can get the job done. There is a FB group dedicated to their use and modification which you may find helpful. The needle can be changed to a standard industrial needle system of 135 X 16 for leather or 135 X 17 for fabric really easily. Changing the needle system to either 135 X 16 or 17 will give you better quality options for both the needle and thread size selection.

kgg

Thanks, I think it's good to start with.    Some day maybe a fancy machine.    

10 minutes ago, DJole said:

There are LOTS of discussions about these Chinese cobbler machines on this forum, usually from people who bought one and then realize that they can't get it to work well, and ask for help.

Low expectations, it will give something to tinker with for now.  Thank you 

42 minutes ago, DJole said:

A stitching pony is an excellent help for quality hand stitching. 

i think that three hole chisel may be a lacing chisel and not for stitching but for lacing need a better pic of it.

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i think that three hole chisel may be a lacing chisel and not for stitching but for lacing need a better pic of it.

You are correct, its for lacing. I have a set of these

The books by Al Stohlman are probably still the best there are, even though they are not very recent. I also very highly recommend the one on handsewing leather. And if you can find them cheaply (I wouldn't pay full price) the first two volumes on how to make leather cases. Not for the cases themselves (I'll never need a polaroid camera or gun shell case), but for the information on how to attach straps, strap keepers and D-rings (Vol. 1) and the different types of handles (Vol. 2).

(Btw, in case any publishers read this: I'd really, really LOVE a book with just that type of information. Which type of handle/strap/closure/fastener to use when and how to attach them. Nifty ideas for closing leather cases, etc. That info comes in bits and pieces (Stohlman has more than most), often hidden in the project instructions,  but I'd like it all in one place, one encyclopedia of ??? )

4 hours ago, Klara said:

The books by Al Stohlman are probably still the best there are, even though they are not very recent. I also very highly recommend the one on handsewing leather. And if you can find them cheaply (I wouldn't pay full price) the first two volumes on how to make leather cases. Not for the cases themselves (I'll never need a polaroid camera or gun shell case), but for the information on how to attach straps, strap keepers and D-rings (Vol. 1) and the different types of handles (Vol. 2).

(Btw, in case any publishers read this: I'd really, really LOVE a book with just that type of information. Which type of handle/strap/closure/fastener to use when and how to attach them. Nifty ideas for closing leather cases, etc. That info comes in bits and pieces (Stohlman has more than most), often hidden in the project instructions,  but I'd like it all in one place, one encyclopedia of ??? )

Thank you Klara I will look for the books.  

2 hours ago, WoodCarverJoel said:

Thank you Klara I will look for the books.  

a lot of the Stohlman books are free on the tandy website site

When did you last check? All the books I can find today are The Art of Embossing Leather and How to Colour Leather. https://tandyleather.com/blogs/leathercraft-library/tagged/ebooks

And lots of Doodle Pages, which you'll get to when you click on the tiny "Filter by: All" in above link under the banner.

Tandy are not so stupid as to give away their international bestsellers - I just bought the one on sharpening in my French leather shop.