Hi all,

I made a clutch purse and it turned into a bigger project than I had intended but I had tons of fun along the way.  It was filled with many firsts.  First time I used four separate kinds of leathers (actually first time I used more than one leather for a project!) ; first purse I ever made; first time I used a zipper; first design from a scratch design; first time I skived so much to make this project!

I've never recorded the kinds of leather I have (a few were gifts) but the lining is some cheap stuff from Hobby Lobby.  I have two kinds of chrome tan leather and a 4/5 oz veg tan as part of my clasp.   I'll try to make a mental note of what I get for my records and to help me describe my projects for the future. 

The original design idea came from watching Aaron from Makers Leather Supply on his 'whatever' wallet.  I liked the size and the overall project seemed to be a good intermediate size and challenging project.    I decided I should make something for the wife or daughters as part of a cell phone holder/card holder.  A phone without any protective casing does  fit behind the zipped up portion.  I'll have to make that pocket a bit bigger next time.   My basket weaving didn't come out straight as I probably rushed it and it should've been cased better.  

My stitching has come a long way but the stitch lines needs more of my attention.  The edging is really crappy and I'll have to take a sander to it some more this weekend.   A question about using something like edge koting.  Because I'm using chrome tan and knowing it won't burnish, if I use fiebings edge kote, the part that bends while folding the wallet in half, will the edge eventually crack/fall apart?  Is there something better I could use?  I read somewhere they roll their edging for such projects.  I didn't do that because I was so engrossed in the design and didn't think much about it.   Plus, the thickness was getting to be a concern and the sewing did a number on my hands!  I hope to get a good used machine one day to solve that problem....   So, what do you think?  I welcome any constructive criticisms.  

cp8.jpg.a48ab32ea5093d94c864a52fe9e43e72.jpg  cp6.jpg.57787a01fadc30cfd270f8b4c718135e.jpgcp4.jpg.17cfcc3d48b5e4ec42a7abe9c613d27b.jpg

cp3.jpg

cp5.jpg

cp7.jpg

cp1.jpg

cp2.jpg

Edited by JayEhl
spelling

Well, its been a while and hadn't heard any 'wows' or 'it's crappy'.     (I'm going with the 'its crappy'.    :)   )   Then I realized I should've posted in the 'critique my work' area.   

If a moderator can move this thread to the critique my work area, it would be appreciated so I can get some feedback and constructive criticisms?  

Thanks in advance.

~JL

Don't know why I hadn't seen this. Design is cool, I think if the zippered pocket didn't go past the halfway point you would not have the wrinkling issue.  Edges are a must to be finished, will make the clutch look like a whole new beast.  Stitching is a bit chunky and far from the edge.  A deceptively large number of different skills go into making something like this, kudos for taking it on!

YinTx

From the small picture your carving looks quite good. But your basketweave looks rather faint. And I agree, moving the zipper will help make things "flatter".

First thing I noticed was the basket weave not being deep enough.  Stitching could be better, how are you measuring the spacing for your holes? One of my main problems is stitching a perfectly straight line.  The forum has helped.

I switched to a Pricking Iron and do my edges either with a edger tool or marking them on the leather with a white pencil at 1/8 inch from the edge.  I still don't know if that's the right number but it appears to be working.

I like the way you have your edges sanded down.  They look real good.  I suggest adding edge coat.  It will give a smoother look.

Keep up the good work. I wish I could carve like you.

2 hours ago, JayEhl said:

Well, its been a while and hadn't heard any 'wows' or 'it's crappy'.     (I'm going with the 'its crappy'.    :)   )   Then I realized I should've posted in the 'critique my work' area.   

If a moderator can move this thread to the critique my work area, it would be appreciated so I can get some feedback and constructive criticisms?  

Thanks in advance.

~JL

I think it's nice. And it will age beautifully. I would leave those edges raw or dye them (Not using edge paint) Because yes it will crack, and the reason is because it wrinkles at the fold quite a lot, and no edge paint will "stretch" that much. 

A solution for the wrinkles (for other projects) would be to glue the lining around a curve, also it would help to change to have a thinner lining than exterior leather. 

Regarding edge paints, in my opinion there are way better options out there than Fiebings edge kote. And how durable the edge will be depends not only on the brand of edge paint, but also the viscosity of the paint. Some thicker paints is of course quicker to get a nice result with, thinner paint may require a lot of coats. There are also primers available that might be suitable for some waxy/oily leathers. A couple of brands that are easy to source and popular. Fenice, Uniters, Vernis 600, Giardini (There are of course other good brands also, like Stahl, Beraud CT and such) Personally I use Fenice and Uniters, but prefer Fenice. (I think you should buy one color of a couple of brands, and maybe a couple of different primers and test them to see what you like. If you would like to make a nice edge with few coats, I think you should try Uniters EP Full (Primer) and Uniters EP2000. (You can get a "perfect edge" with just one coat of primer and one coat of paint. I haven't tried the durability of this combination, but Uniters have a good reputation, and from my test pieces it feels like a good solution.

I also, don't know how I missed this originally.  My apologies.  There are a lot of skills required to pull this off.  It seems that when I have a project with several skills needed, I get one or two of them right and botch another.  I have actually glued and edged a piece that was supposed to be stamped/ carved...before I carved.  I have thrown so much leather away...but this is not something I would toss.  Chalk it up to a good learning experience.  Take notes of the steps BEFORE you start (like casing leather) so that no steps are missed.  Sometimes I do, sometimes, not.  I find that when I have to work a 4-5 hour project over several days, it is easy to forget where I was.  Sometimes, I will leave the next tool to be used laying on top of the project as a reminder.

I love the design you chose.  wonderful carving work.  Don't feel bad about "no comments".  I have a couple posted in "critique my work" with no response at all.  Not sure what that means.

'

On 7/14/2021 at 5:10 PM, YinTx said:

Don't know why I hadn't seen this. Design is cool, I think if the zippered pocket didn't go past the halfway point you would not have the wrinkling issue.  Edges are a must to be finished, will make the clutch look like a whole new beast.  Stitching is a bit chunky and far from the edge.  A deceptively large number of different skills go into making something like this, kudos for taking it on!

Thanks all for taking the time to review my project.   @YinTx took me a bit to analyze the zipper comment and finally figured out what you were describing.  DUH!   Makes total sense now that I look it over.   Boy you're not kidding about the "deceptively large number of different skills needed".    But it was alot of fun!! 

On 7/14/2021 at 6:32 PM, tsunkasapa said:

From the small picture your carving looks quite good. But your basketweave looks rather faint.  

@tsunkasapa  Thank you for your kind words.  When I first got started, I (hyper) focused on the carving and painting part of the craft.  It is so relaxing and so much fun.   I only started making stuff in earnest just a while ago.   I don't think I cased the leather very well which would've helped more with the basket stamping.  Between getting the lines straight and making sure I manage the same amount of power while I strike the basket weave stamp is one of those (many..... many...) 'deceptive skills'.   

On 7/14/2021 at 7:06 PM, AzShooter said:

Stitching could be better, how are you measuring the spacing for your holes?

I used 4mm chisel set from Asyker?  I try to (remember to) mark the holes first to make sure they even out at the end and then go back through and punch it.  But yes, keeping the irons straight through that much leather is a challenge.  I've watched several youtube videos for other ideas and help but nothing is better than some in person instruction and practice.  And until I get a sewing machine, I'm thinking of investing in one of those pliers with the chisel teeth built in hoping that would help.  But once I get my stitching straighter I'll see if I can get closer to the edge.  thanks!

On 7/14/2021 at 7:42 PM, Danne said:

I would leave those edges raw or dye them (Not using edge paint)

I'm not especially fond of a raw look because its so fuzzy looking.  I know it cannot be helped much using chrome tan, but I am going to trial some different dyes as you suggest.  On another video they suggested rolling the edges which may get more of the 'look' that I intended.   Another skill I need to pick up and practice...  LOL!  So thank you for the list of suggested brand options. 

@PastorBob   no apologies necessary.   I appreciate yours and everyone's time in providing tips to help me along.    I've started to take better notes during my project but my hand writing is so crummy since I've been in IT for the past twenty years.   Heck, I can't even remember the last time I wrote a message, let alone a phone number!!    But I do know what you mean about writing out steps.  The other day I was so excited to get back to a project after work I started to punch holes for sewing without gluing!!    

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed.   I find this forum to be more than a blessing, it is a community!     Maybe we can all see each other in Waco at the "Heart of Texas Leather Show" or some other venue. 

Enjoy your weekend!

~JL