Grihm

Hot Foil Stamping Machine

Hi all.

In short, i was looking around online for Hot Foil Stamping Machines, and i came across this.

https://workonleather.com/collections/stamping-machine

Anyone have any experience with these, or knowledge on what sort of quality one can expect to get?

I know it´s no high end equipment, but for anyone with limited budget and not an everyday need for it, could these be a good purchase?

Best Regards

Johan

There used to be a printing and bookbinding course at the Camberwell College of Art in London, which taught that skill. Shepherds in Pimlico sell the kit. Perhaps you could ask them. The closest I ever got was a hot point and tape.

Appreciate the tip =)

Will look into it. I already have one press, but i need another in my current coming workshop due to covid. The one i have weighs in at around 80 KG, so nothing to grab in a haste.

A bit of an update.

I have been offered now a chance to buy a hot foil stamping machine, not even with my own money.

Before i pull the trigger on a buy...i am still a bit confused about this machine, and also it´s origin. I cannot find a link now, but somewhere i know i saw " this machine " for around 600 - 800 Euros, but it had a different number on the front. Basically it was this machine in any other sense as i could see.

Anyone else that might have any insight of it, and if not if someone know of an alternative.

My needs

* " Easy " to line up and straighten the stamp, preferably with some form of screw in or click in option.

* Adjustable heat.

* Something somewhat known brand or reliable if it breaks to get it fixed or parts.

* Budget topping around 350 Euro, with some wiggle room.

The machine is the cheapest part of the equation.   The letters start at about the price of the machine itself and you will need several sets of them.  At a minimum a double letter set just to get started.  

I've used inexpensive steel letter sets set up on an inverted clothes iron to get heated and clamped wooden blocks on the leather piece  (marked) to make my gold foil lettering as often as I've used it.  (Fairly infrequently) 

The foil machines are fine for mass producing repeated lettering. Like a set of a dozen identical pieces.  Otherwise it just isn't really cost effective.   

Usually it's just someone's name...not something that difficult to do once.  

The heated iron rollers that can emboss a repeating pattern in gold foil on a piece....that one is a fine purchase. ,(like a desk blotter, leather table, or leather box) You can usually get that to pay for itself rather quickly.  

Just my thoughts.  Your mileage may vary.  

What interested me with this machine is it´s size. My own one weighs at about...a lot. As i can remember, at least 100 pounds +.

Anywho... What i find intriguing is portable size and the ease of lining up the brand. 

I will get my machine back next week or so, so i´l be posting pics and info about it and maby i can get some help in how to best line up what i have and perhaps not be needing another one.

As for my stamps.. i had a few we ordered in Sweden, but the making of them was a bit less than optimal. They did good prints, but you had to " guess " the lining up part since they did not center it on the block they cut it from.

I will be ordering new stamps for the future projects, and as for lettering, that´s another headache as well. For such, i have seen these soldering pens more or less you add letters to in a row and then press... but me i don´t do much lettering at all anyways... More interested in gold foiling books and details on smaller bags and hunting gear etc.

I have a like new one from Springfield leather got it last winter just don’t use it with 2 sets of letters will take 400.00 for it

On 7/4/2022 at 3:33 AM, Gordonbolton said:

I have a like new one from Springfield leather got it last winter just don’t use it with 2 sets of letters will take 400.00 for it

Shipping to Sweden i guess is quite a bit?