Alay

Metallic finish?

Hey all. I'm a novice leatherworker, mostly do holsters and wallets and other odds and ends from costumes. 

I have a costume project I'm trying to create, where the character has a clothing piece with a metallic-like appearance.  I'm wondering if I can replicate that in a leather finish, before I go the route of integrating a cold cast urethane or painted foam.

Here's an example of the finish I'm trying to create.  I was thinking I could dye a piece black then lay an acrylic of some sort on it, then buff it almost out to give it that scratched/weathered look.  Any ideas of a finish that has that sort of metallic sheen?  Or of a process to achieve something similar?

I appreciate you!

~Ezra

50 minutes ago, Alay said:

Hey all. I'm a novice leatherworker, mostly do holsters and wallets and other odds and ends from costumes. 

I have a costume project I'm trying to create, where the character has a clothing piece with a metallic-like appearance.  I'm wondering if I can replicate that in a leather finish, before I go the route of integrating a cold cast urethane or painted foam.

Here's an example of the finish I'm trying to create.  I was thinking I could dye a piece black then lay an acrylic of some sort on it, then buff it almost out to give it that scratched/weathered look.  Any ideas of a finish that has that sort of metallic sheen?  Or of a process to achieve something similar?

I appreciate you!

~Ezra

i have used iridescent paints lightly air brushed here is a sample black with blue green and purple, i think if you did something similar with a silver it might work. if it were my project i would try a dry brush technique or maybe a sponge or paper towel drug across with very little silver  to create that effect.

book1.JPG

Edited by chuck123wapati

The only difference is in the priming. Because leather's hydrophilic, a water-based paint like acrylics isn't going to have any real issues.