Sign in to follow this  
fredk

4th July

Happy Independence Day to all US Americans everywhere

12 hours ago, fredk said:

Happy Independence Day to all US Americans everywhere

Thank you friend! 

Happy  independence day to all of you all

John Adams said  July 2nd was independence day, other fore fathers say it is the 4th

I wonder which is the actual date. 

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

John Adams said  July 2nd was independence day, other fore fathers say it is the 4th

Americans celebrated Independence Day on July 4th, the date the much-publicized Declaration of Independence was approved, rather than on July 2nd, the day the resolution of independence was adopted in a closed session of Congress.

With their yes votes, the members of the Continental Congress became traitors to Great Britain and wanted criminals. That is why Ben Franklyn uttered his famous line, “We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.”

17 hours ago, Frodo said:

It's kind of hard to nail down a date to celebrate.  I don't remember some of the dates exactly, but you could argue that the day in early-mid June when they decided to do this thing would be the one.  They appointed John Adams, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and two others whose names escape me to write the document which they did over the next several weeks.  That document was presented on July 2 and approved with provision for a few minor changes and those changes were approved on July 4th, so either of those dates would be valid.  The delegates left Philadelphia over the next few days and the public was informed on July 8th - that's when the Liberty bell was rung, etc. so that could be a good date to choose too.   At that point, not all delegates had actually signed the declaration, and they did so over nearly two months.  Choosing the day when the final signature went on could also be a valid choice to celebrate!     

In the end, it's a little complicated, but you still have to choose a date ... so the 4th it is!!   John Adams was never happy with that, he insisted on the 2nd - and who knows - maybe the 4th was chosen just to tick him off!  He was by all accounts blunt, opinionated, pushy and just plain not well liked - today we'd call him a prick!  LOL

- Bill

or, you could say the day the treaty ending the war was signed in 1783 and Great Britain recognised the USA as independent, or the day in 1778 the French ship acknowledged John Paul Jones flying the Stars 'n' Stripes as when US Independence was recognised by another country

Whichever date is chosen, celebrate the Independence won from a tyrannical government