MtlBiker

Consew 206RB-5: Not picking up bobbin thread

43 minutes ago, TurnerSew said:

Here's a couple of pictures you might find helpful.

You might want to convert those photos into something that can be opened on a Windows computer. JPG is a more common file type. I can't open your photos on Windows 10.

43 minutes ago, TurnerSew said:

Can't open these in Windows 10

2 hours ago, TurnerSew said:

Here's a couple of pictures you might find helpful. Just note, that if you get this too close, you run a risk of breaking something and needing new parts. At that point, it'd likely be more expensive than paying someone else to do it. 

First is a picture of hook point clearance. Needs to be close. The manual excerpt above is spot on. As is the YouTube video. Set the hook point to be within the scarf, not on the eye of the needle. As far as sharpness on the hook, think of the tip of a good pair of pointed shears. The point should be like a triangle point, not beveled or blunt.

Second is the physical location of the thread release finger / bobbin case opener. The YouTube video is as well.

If you are confident with both of these being correct, start with tension next, as described by Wiz.

IMG_4861.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

2 hours ago, TurnerSew said:

New point for reference.

IMG_4865.thumb.jpg.42398827f200e13f8e2011cfa74eece8.jpgIMG_4864.thumb.jpg.aa09db8dd25408dbac5aa0dc2a915bb7.jpg

to me the tip on the installed hook (shown in video) does not look bad at all. I doubt you have to replace it. It´s juts not correctly timed.

On 7/5/2021 at 3:24 PM, MtlBiker said:

Edited by Constabulary

On 7/6/2021 at 6:38 PM, TurnerSew said:

Here's a couple of pictures you might find helpful. Just note, that if you get this too close, you run a risk of breaking something and needing new parts. At that point, it'd likely be more expensive than paying someone else to do it. 

First is a picture of hook point clearance. Needs to be close. The manual excerpt above is spot on. As is the YouTube video. Set the hook point to be within the scarf, not on the eye of the needle. As far as sharpness on the hook, think of the tip of a good pair of pointed shears. The point should be like a triangle point, not beveled or blunt.

Second is the physical location of the thread release finger / bobbin case opener. The YouTube video is as well.

If you are confident with both of these being correct, start with tension next, as described by Wiz.

IMG_4861.HEIC 861.94 kB · 6 downloads IMG_4857.HEIC 458.12 kB · 4 downloads

Very helpful suggestions, thanks!  And your later repost of the photos likewise was very helpful.  I do have the machine working fine again, and the hook did not need replacement.  I had to work carefully through the maintenance video step by step to get everything correct.  And your photo of the hook against the scarf of the needle was clearer than anything else I'd seen.  Thanks!

On 7/6/2021 at 11:58 PM, Constabulary said:

to me the tip on the installed hook (shown in video) does not look bad at all. I doubt you have to replace it. It´s juts not correctly timed.

You were correct.  I just didn't have the experience to figure out what exactly was wrong, and then I took a shotgun approach to fixing things when I should have been a lot more targeted.  The hook was fine, and I had to work through all the steps in the maintenance video one at a time, checking and adjusting everything.  Quite a learning experience, but now the machine is sewing as well as it ever did.