Tsiatko

Cobra AK-20 seized up.

Hello everyone! 

I’m new here and new to leather work, but I just started a job at a handbag company a few months ago. We have a Cobra AK-20 that’s giving us trouble. I’d adjusted it a couple months ago and didn’t add enough spacers, now the blades wobble. I need to add more spacers, but the round locking mechanism at the end of the blade pin was tightened down too much. Now it’s jammed and I can’t get it undone. Does anyone know how i can go about releasing this? I’ve tried using a lot of WD-40 and no luck loosening it. Pictures attached, I circled the part in question - can’t seem to find a proper manual here or online so I don’t know what the part is actually called, everything I can find online is too blurry for me to distinguish which part it is. Thanks!

20ADF446-2F97-47D4-B4B1-098FF334F440.jpeg

I have an Italian made cutter, on it the thread on end nut is left handed. Are you turning it the wrong way?  Because the roller can turn when you are dealing with the nut, I usually give the tool a whack with a dead blow hammer to loosen or tighten it.

Thanks for the tip! I reached out to the company that we bought it from, they informed me it was a reverse thread. Unfortunately, that means I’ve been tightening it more than I wanted these last couple days while fussing with it. I’ve been grinding on this thing with channel locks and pliers and any other tool I can think of, and I just can’t get it to budge. I’m at a loss. In all honesty, to me this seems like an incredible design flaw.

You will need some impact to break it loose.  If you have rounded the nut, you might try cutting a groove in the nut (with a dremel) at an angle that you can get a cold chisel on.  Give the chisel a hard whack with a hammer to break it loose. Then order a new nut.

If you need to change the position of the roller, reach under the table and pull on the v-belt.

See those holes in the ring? There is a bar that came with the machine that fits in those holes. Gives you leverage. It is reverse threaded so you need to go the other direction. Right-loosey, lefty-tighty. Try having someone hold the hand crank wheel behind the machine while another person uses turns the nut.