RuralHill

Tool pouches, packs, bags, and the works

Can anyone point me in the way of tool items. Tool bags and the likes. Would like to see what some have made and what some have planned to make. Looking for creative help. I’m tore between a hip pouch and a carry along leather tool bag. I’m leaning towards the carry along. I see some have templates for sale across the web but none are quite the right size I’m looking for. All input welcome!! Thanks ahead!!

What are you going to carry in this bag? That may help people point you in the right direction. 

Well my daily carry tools are all electrical, various screw and nut drivers and various pliers a tape measure and expanding ruler

One could always use the old doctor's bag pattern.  That is plenty roomy for the tools you mentioned.

image.jpeg.f84c47cb3352f30288de72e40627995b.jpeg

You may be confusing transport and on-site. You don't want to be digging a screwdriver out from under the seat once you arrive, so the issue becomes one of a place for everything and everything in its place for a visual check at the end of the day. Yet on the job, being tuckered up with kit you'll not need today is a pain: toolbelt hangers become the order of the day. One hand for you and one for the ship. Perhaps you also need a cartridge box for consumables. 

The old men all used to wear hip belts. But those men now walk with limps on that side. I bought this pattern and built it but it was a little small for my liking. Looking something along the lines of this but maybe a little bigger. Also open to something along the lines of the “tuff-tote” line by ideal 

6E9593CA-A100-497E-AD8A-0EA2528FCBF6.jpeg

Edited by RuralHill

12 hours ago, RuralHill said:

Can anyone point me in the way of tool items. Tool bags and the likes. Would like to see what some have made and what some have planned to make. Looking for creative help. I’m tore between a hip pouch and a carry along leather tool bag. I’m leaning towards the carry along. I see some have templates for sale across the web but none are quite the right size I’m looking for. All input welcome!! Thanks ahead!!

How much do you want to sell them for or is this just something for yourself?

I'm a finish carpenter (joiner) and have made a few over the years.  I prefer one without a lid.  Much easier to get tools in and out, more convenient handles and overall less pain in the ass.  The only reason for a flap IMO is when using public transportation or to keep other persons hands out of the bag.  The Klein leather electrician's bags are a nice design.

1 minute ago, mike02130 said:

I'm a finish carpenter (joiner) and have made a few over the years.  I prefer one without a lid.  Much easier to get tools in and out, more convenient handles and overall less pain in the ass.  The only reason for a flap IMO is when using public transportation or to keep other persons hands out of the bag.  The Klein leather electrician's bags are a nice design.

I like a carry bag to transport most of my tools and a belt setup for the tools I'm going to use on a specific part of a job.  I transfer the tools from my "big bag" to my belt as needed.  

1 hour ago, RuralHill said:

The old men all used to wear hip belts. But those men now walk with limps on that side. I bought this pattern and built it but it was a little small for my liking. Looking something along the lines of this but maybe a little bigger. Also open to something along the lines of the “tuff-tote” line by ideal 

6E9593CA-A100-497E-AD8A-0EA2528FCBF6.jpeg

I like this style from Tony See but I would alter it so the whole thing opens out. The length is easy enough to change and the ends remain as they are. I thought about this when he first did the design but I already have four DeWalt carry bags.

Imagine the whole thing in one piece except the ends (no need for the straps) now put a groove (hinge) along the inside of the shoulder. Put whatever fasteners you like to snap the side to the ends. Now you've got a bag where you can open to the shoulder for easy access or open up the whole thing or just one side as necessary. This was off the top of my head with no details worked out but eminently doable I would've thought.

3 hours ago, sbrownn said:

How much do you want to sell them for or is this just something for yourself?

I’d definitely be open to both with the right design but for sure treating myself first

3 hours ago, sbrownn said:

I like a carry bag to transport most of my tools and a belt setup for the tools I'm going to use on a specific part of a job.  I transfer the tools from my "big bag" to my belt as needed.  

After being a cop for years I do not plan to carry anything on my belt lol