AllStitchedUp

Tooling mud flying off a tire

Hey everyone, hope all are well.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what stamping tools or other techniques they use for tooling mud flying off a mudtruck tire that's moving at a high rate of speed. I've been tooling/leather crafting for years now, decent enough to make a living off of my leather crafting and custom tooling I do on it, but for some reason, I'm really struggling with this dang order... I have had several customers wanting me to tool their mudtruck, jeep, etc and no problem. But the pic this fella wants is unlike the usual- he's hauling butt through a mud bog. Before I ask for a different picture or have to alter the pic a bit, thought if any of my fellow crafters could throw me a bone. Appreciate any help

Screenshot_20210705-113300_Messenger.jpg

I think I would try a pebble backgrounder and fade it out, make your stamping denser close to the tire and start spacing it out evenly toward where the mud starts to come into focus on the left side of the pic, just my .02, there might be better ideas forthcoming 

Thanks Dustin I appreciate it. I was first thinking that too- using a backgrounder. I have about 6 different gravel, pebble, etc.. backgrounders and a usual go to when tooling dirt, gravel and such along with getting nuts with my swivel knife- as I usually get 2-5 orders a week for a wallet, purse, etc.. with the customer wanting their mud truck, Jeep, etc.. tooled on it.. no prob. That's what I thought with this one until I got into tooling this and.. nothing, like my brain just shut down.. problem is, I have never had an order with the mud being so watery... thinking about maybe taking my swivel knife and cutting some outlines where the muds flying off and then beveling it and tooling it down.. but not sure that would produce the most realistic look and that's what I'm after

Edited by AllStitchedUp

Maybe one of those chopped fiberglass backgrounds? Overlap it and fade it out further away. You have a really interesting problem. Please share what works when you pull it off.

Thanks for the feedback battle. I do have one of those backgrounders... hhmm.. I might use that and another backgrounder. I'll definitely post when I'm done. Thanks to you and Dustin for taking the time to give me some feedback

Whatever you do, of course, this goes without saying...test it out on some scrap first!

This^^^

Just a thought.  Comic strip artists are masters at making things appear in motion.  Some study of their illustrations and a bit of swivel knife work might be the ticket.  Then some stamps for fill.

God bless

maybe some washed sand glued to a piece of paper or even some duct tape. then cut out the mud pattern from it and gently tap or press the impression into the leather. 

That is a great idea @chuck123wapati.

I was thinking how you could even lightly spray on some glue and sprinkle some of the sand  @chuck123wapati was mentioning.  I would imagine if the sun ht it just right it will even sparkle.